Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of I'm going to say I'm going to be starting my apprenticeship next week but as I finish getting my last apartment ready as an apartment maintenance tech i notice something different with the outlets. I was wondering if this was safe or common practice? It seems that they ran one leg of the common wire to the body of the outlet so that when i plug in a tester it seems fine (just basic 3 light outlet tester for verifying correct wiring). As i think about this I realize that there are almost 200 apartments that I would bet are wired the exact same way.They took the old two wire -ground and made it appear to be 2 wire with ground. Just thought I would ask.

·
Slave to the grind
623 Posts
I was wondering if this was safe or common practice?
No, it is not safe and no, it is not common practice, at least not by real electricians. The person that installed those knew enough to be dangerous and has created a potential for someone to get hurt or worse.
At the very least, I would bring that to the attention of someone in management....especially if every unit is like that.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Once you hit the submit new thread button you cannot edit the title of the thead.

Auto spell on these phones will mess you up:laughing:
That is exactly what happened. If I could edit the title i would. I even read everything in my post to make sure it made sense and all the words were correct. I guess I missed the title. I was pretty sure that the wiring was incorrect and that someone had just done this so they didn't have to rewire the whole complex. It's these types of things that made me find somewhere better, i.e. local jatc.

·
Retired Account
39,697 Posts
Ok Randy, now that we've sufficiently addressed the grammar nonsense , do you know what you're looking at?

~CS~

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes, they have the common or neutral tied to the ground lug of the outlet. Not sure what side but am pretty sure it should continue from one outlet to the next continuously. This makes me think there is no real common except at the first outlet and that the next outlet's common is coming from the body of the previous outlet.

·
Pool Shark
472 Posts
This looks like a bad case of lazy electrician syndrome. Customer asks for 3 prong but only 2 wire available so they jump the ground to the neutral.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts

·
RIP 1959-2015
39,618 Posts
That is exactly what happened. If I could edit the title i would. I even read everything in my post to make sure it made sense and all the words were correct. I guess I missed the title. I was pretty sure that the wiring was incorrect and that someone had just done this so they didn't have to rewire the whole complex. It's these types of things that made me find somewhere better, i.e. local jatc.

What happens is this, the client calls 3 different electrical contractors.

One electrical contractor correctly prices the job to re-wire the whole house so the client can have 3 prong receptacles $8,000.03

The other two electrical contractors price it out to just swap out the receptacles, a quick $800.03. What these guys do is create a bootleg ground knowing that years will go by before it is ever detected, and by that time no one will remember who done it..:no:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.