Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good evening,

I am no electrician but my basic understanding is that you can't use an item with a power supply that requires more amps than that stated on the power supply output rating.

I purchased an item from a PC store and I don't think this power supply is right for the item? Pictures are below. The power supply is the first image.

Would be great if anyone could help me - the PC store said that it is the correct one - their reasoning was because it was a lower amp output than what the item required?

Thanks!

·
Old Grumpy Bastard
GOV/MIL contracting
61,598 Posts
No it isn't the proper voltage or amperage. It will be a huge problem. IBTL

·
Old Grumpy Bastard
GOV/MIL contracting
61,598 Posts
Thanks for posting on ElectricianTalk.com. However, working with electricity and electrical systems can be unsafe if not done by a professional licensed electrician. The moderators of this site would like to advise you to contact a professional electrician in your area.

If you are permitted by law in your area to do your own electrical work, please sign up at our sister site, www.DIYChatroom.com where many of our professionals are also members and are looking forward to assist you with your needs.

Please take a moment to post your question at www.DIYChatroom.com If you're not already a member of DIYChatroom.com you can sign up for a free account by going to http://www.DIYChatroom.com/register.php/

We apologize for any inconvenience that this may have caused. This thread needs to be closed.

·
animal lover /rat bastard
13,547 Posts
Good evening,

I am no electrician but my basic understanding is that you can't use an item with a power supply that requires more amps than that stated on the power supply output rating.

I purchased an item from a PC store and I don't think this power supply is right for the item? Pictures are below. The power supply is the first image.

Would be great if anyone could help me - the PC store said that it is the correct one - their reasoning was because it was a lower amp output than what the item required?

Thanks!

Firstly, you have joined a forum which clearly stated qualifications which you clearly do not have - in what universe do you think that you are entitled to a proper reply ?

As to your question - you have shown a docking station, whose input requirements are entirely dependant on what is plugged in to it - items which you did not indicate to us, but probably did indicate to the store you went to. Depending on what you are plugging in to the docking station, it may be that the (50%) supply is adequate to supply. The docking station input is listed for the maximum output it should be rated to supply, not for whatever it is you might connect to it that may or may not require that amount of power. happy trails.

·
Gold Pliers Champion
2,691 Posts
Wrong power supply. Looks old and used. WTF?

Happy Halloween.

·
Super Moderator
Licensed Electrical Contractor
11,797 Posts
Thanks for posting on ElectricianTalk.com. However, working with electricity and electrical systems can be unsafe if not done by a professional licensed electrician. The moderators of this site would like to advise you to contact a professional electrician in your area.

If you are permitted by law in your area to do your own electrical work, please sign up at our sister site, www.DIYChatroom.com where many of our professionals are also members and are looking forward to assist you with your needs.

Please take a moment to post your question at www.DIYChatroom.com If you're not already a member of DIYChatroom.com you can sign up for a free account by going to http://www.DIYChatroom.com/register.php/

We apologize for any inconvenience that this may have caused. This thread has been closed.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.