Electrician Talk banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im having issues staying connected to a L35 compact logix controll over ethernet. This plc controls a production line of conveyors. When I connect over Ethernet I can't upload the project from the controller because the connection times out and when i do get online its way to slow to navigate through the program or practically do anything. I've tried both ethernet drivers in rs linx. I just installed rslogix 5000 on this laptop and I have the entire software installed, I'm wondering if that's were the problem is comming from, I'm thinking of unistallin everything and just install the version 16 that I need. There has been other programers that have had no issues staying connected and navigating through the program. I've used task monitor and the Ethernet module on the controller is being hardly used from what I can tell. Any help would be appreciated

·
Conservitum Americum
8,754 Posts
Im having issues staying connected to a L35 compact logix controll over ethernet. This plc controls a production line of conveyors. When I connect over Ethernet I can't upload the project from the controller because the connection times out and when i do get online its way to slow to navigate through the program or practically do anything. I've tried both ethernet drivers in rs linx. I just installed rslogix 5000 on this laptop and I have the entire software installed, I'm wondering if that's were the problem is comming from, I'm thinking of unistallin everything and just install the version 16 that I need. There has been other programers that have had no issues staying connected and navigating through the program. I've used task monitor and the Ethernet module on the controller is being hardly used from what I can tell. Any help would be appreciated
Assuming this is a new install not a new problem in an existing, previously working, device, using "ping" and it's switches can be enlightening.

http://www.computerhope.com/pinghlp.htm

Using traceroute can let you see what the route is through other devices possibly showing a conflict.

http://www.computerhope.com/tracert.htm

Reactions: wildleg

·
NO high voltage here
2,438 Posts
to me it sounds like the host is dropping the connection. But he said it is just a switch, and the units. which would mean no dhcp, so maybe there is an ip routing conflict. wish i knew more about this ****

·
antisocial group ******
773 Posts
Have you tried to plug in direct and setting up a DH driver (probably at 19200, but just use the auto configure)?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes I connected via rs232 and its even worse, rediculously slow, that why I'm wondering if its a software issue possibly. I've tried different ip adresses also, still no luck Hmmmm, thx for the replies

·
NO high voltage here
2,438 Posts
Ohhhh, I wonder if you have the wrong port settings.

What operating system are you using?
And are you using a usb-serial connection?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm on Windows 7, I pretty sure I have the correct port, device manager> com #. Thats why i tried connecting over ethernet instead.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well it does work on other controllers, slc and control logix, but for some reason on this compact logix I'm having terrible connection issues

1 - 14 of 14 Posts