Electrician Talk banner

It's kind of Windy Today...

4K views 30 replies 16 participants last post by  TOOL_5150 
#1 ·
#20 ·
I know the NY version of the responsible party, He looks like Mr. Furley and when the crews ask for a crate of nails, he shows up with a handful for them.

#24 ·
Big John said:
How is it that a building that's fully constructed and sheathed tips over in the wind...? They're long past the point where they should've been adding any bracing to that.
It's an easy screw up.
When my home was built the framers never bolted the house to the foundation.
A strong wind could have lifted it before the windows and doors were installed.
They placed the washers and nuts next to the stud on the kick board.
Everything was finished and insulated when I found it. I had been searching for an opening that mice were getting in from.
The builder paid me $1k to repair it myself.

#25 ·
That is not an easy screw up. It's not like a crew of 3 built that place. I'm sure there were plenty of 'eyes' on that job. And yes, it was way past the point of having those walls secured to the anchor bolts, or hurricane straps. It's as easy to miss that as it is to miss running all your heavy wire in new construction Resi. Do you know what your doin or not?

#26 ·
Just because it's high-end does not mean it's quality, that's the truth. When I did new residential it was all pricey custom homes, and these people weren't getting anything done any better than the crappiest tract houses, they were just getting a lot more of it.

I remember one new house we went back to in order to add a circuit and found several of the engineered roof trusses splitting. :blink:

#28 ·
Just because it's high-end does not mean it's quality, that's the truth. When I did new residential it was all pricey custom homes, and these people weren't getting anything done any better than the crappiest tract houses, they were just getting a lot more of it.

I remember one new house we went back to in order to add a circuit and found several of the engineered roof trusses splitting. :blink:
Quote of the decade. I see it first hand more than I can count. Ive seen newer homes where the builders don't even caulk anything and the foundation is at slope yet because it has granite counter tops and master bath Jacuzzis they sell:rolleyes::no:.

Is it just me or is the condo missing a foundation footing:blink: Or a foundation to start?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.