Electrician Talk banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Senile Member
30,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Never did this particular one in 37 yrs of electrical work, ... till yesterday...

I had to run some liquid tite metal flex from inside a building attic to outside the building soffit for a light fixture and discovered I had only one straight 1/2'' flex connector , and no 90's in my van. Used the one straight connector outside at the light where it was visible, and used a 1/2'' jake on the other end of the flex......... It works... but my shame is deep..... oh the hackery of it all...........

·
Electrical Contractor
9,327 Posts
Never did this particular one in 37 yrs of electrical work, ... till yesterday...

I had to run some liquid tite metal flex from inside a building attic to outside the building soffit for a light fixture and discovered I had only one straight 1/2'' flex connector , and no 90's in my van. Used the one straight connector outside at the light where it was visible, and used a 1/2'' jake on the other end of the flex......... It works... but my shame is deep..... oh the hackery of it all...........
It may come back to haunt you!

Attachments

·
Registered
12,167 Posts
Excuse my ignorance, but what is a "jake"?

·
Banned
39,722 Posts
I was a rebel in apprenticeship school
Grew my hair long and broke all the rules
At work I'd 'dis all my J-men all day
With big ambitions of when I could play
My mentors taught me contactors were louts
So I grew up the type they warned me about
They said all my help were just a unruly mob
And I should quit contractin' and get a real job
:whistling2: :laughing:

Quit contractin' and get a real job
Clean your act up and dont be a slob
Get it together like your big brother Bob
Why dont you give up contractin' and get a real job

:no: :jester:

~C(w/apologies to G Thorogood)S~

·
Sparks fly from my finger
2,530 Posts
The type of flex connector that screws into flexible metal conduit, not the type that grips the outside of the conduit.

I never heard those called Jakes before. When I saw Jake I thought you were talking about a Jake l.

·
RIP 1959-2015
10,750 Posts

Must have been the helper that used up all your connecters without telling you that you are out of them...:whistling2:

:laughing:

·
felonious smile.
15,934 Posts
At least you used a connector on the inside. If concealed in attic it would have ended up without one with me. The NM, YES NM, would have floated right into the carflex.

·
IBEW L.U. 1852
5,261 Posts
Meh.....I certainly wouldn't use any sleep over it. The jake connector will probably outlast us up there in the attic.

·
Registered
12,167 Posts
Meh.....I certainly wouldn't use any sleep over it. The jake connector will probably outlast us up there in the attic.
If he attached it to a grounded metal box I don't see anything wrong with it. Yea, I know it's not listed for that use, but the plastic ones that work the same way are only different in that they are plastic (and listed of course, :) ).

·
IBEW L.U. 1852
5,261 Posts
My thoughts exactly hardworking dude. The listing be damned......if it works and isn't an immediate fire hazard then.......

·
Senile Member
30,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Must have been the helper that used up all your connecters without telling you that you are out of them...:whistling2:

:laughing:

Yes , I keep them in a square tupperware box, semi transparent box, I thought I was loaded up, haven't looked in there to check in a while. It wasn't empty, it had a slew of half parts of various sized lfmc connectors, but no complete ones and no assembling parts that could be put together into a compete unit, so... By the way the jake made a good metal to metal connection, this probably would pass a ul bonding test doing what I did, but would not provide a ''liquid tight'' connection. The attic was pretty dry.

Reactions: guest

·
Petulant Amateur
24,239 Posts
As long as you wrapped it up with copious amounts of black tape, you're okay. Black tape is listed for everything, isn't it?

·
Super Moderator
21,917 Posts
So you used a screw in flex connector instead of a listed fitting. I would bet there is a pretty good connection there and if you ran an equipment grounding conductor I don't think you'll go to hell.

Reactions: Rollie73 and guest

·
Senile Member
30,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So you used a screw in flex connector instead of a listed fitting. I would bet there is a pretty good connection there and if you ran an equipment grounding conductor I don't think you'll go to hell.
Thank you Lord Dennis, I'm good to go then.....:thumbsup:

·
Senile Member
30,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The part that stunned me was it had never even occurred to me to try this out before now. Many times I have shot over to an Ace Hardware and paid $6.59 for a $1 part just because it was the proper fitting. I was in a big rush yesterday, no time for that.

·
Petulant Amateur
24,239 Posts
Mac wouldn't last long in hell anyway. Within twenty minutes they would send him back for a refund...

·
Senile Member
30,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'm not going to feel right until I get a pass from Mcclary.........:laughing:

Reactions: 99cents

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
Well I ain't McClary but even I would say what you did is no big deal. I have done similar in the past and never worried about it. As long as it's mechanically secure it's good to go IMHO.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts