Electrician Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Kind of a big deal here
924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HELP!! The company I am working for is considering opening a third shop to better serve our customers in a bordering state and the islands off our coast. They have tapped me to potentially head it up, or at the least help jump it off the ground. One major piece of the puzzle is to develop a proper job description and salary requirement to do this. The general gist of the job, for the beginning, is to do what I am currently doing. Service tech, construction project bail out crew, remote / semi- on site project manager for three other crews that need a lot of oversight daily, specialty job figurer-outer guy, reluctant salesman... I would also be taking on a decent amount of scheduling for service contract work, seasonal maintenance contracts, and learning a lot of the office work procedures. I don't want to sell myself short on an hourly rate (they want to be fair and pay for every hour of bs I'd deal with as opposed to giving a salary and taking advantage of squeezing hours).

·
RIP 1959-2015
39,618 Posts
HELP!! The company I am working for is considering opening a third shop to better serve our customers in a bordering state and the islands off our coast. They have tapped me to potentially head it up, or at the least help jump it off the ground. One major piece of the puzzle is to develop a proper job description and salary requirement to do this. The general gist of the job, for the beginning, is to do what I am currently doing. Service tech, construction project bail out crew, remote / semi- on site project manager for three other crews that need a lot of oversight daily, specialty job figurer-outer guy, reluctant salesman... I would also be taking on a decent amount of scheduling for service contract work, seasonal maintenance contracts, and learning a lot of the office work procedures. I don't want to sell myself short on an hourly rate (they want to be fair and pay for every hour of bs I'd deal with as opposed to giving a salary and taking advantage of squeezing hours).

Bam!:whistling2:

·
Registered
12,167 Posts
If I am understanding you correctly, you are basically going to be starting up and running a separate branch of this business (with the owner's oversight).

In my experience, something like that has been a salary (based on about 50-60 hours a week) is given, a company vehicle, and a % of the profit of your department.

The tricky part is making sure you have an agreed upon overhead figure. I had a job like that once in a pump and tank business (running the installation department), and when I started showing very good profits, all of a sudden my "branch overhead" went from $15,000/month to $25,000/month. The reason given is that I was making money now and I could afford to pay the overhead. That was in addition to all overhead generated directly by the employees in my department.

It sounds like the owner and you both want to not screw over the other. That is a great start. Who is asking for the job description, you or the owner?

Last question on this post, is this something you want to happen?

·
Kind of a big deal here
924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hardworkingstiff said:
If I am understanding you correctly, you are basically going to be starting up and running a separate branch of this business (with the owner's oversight). In my experience, something like that has been a salary (based on about 50-60 hours a week) is given, a company vehicle, and a % of the profit of your department. The tricky part is making sure you have an agreed upon overhead figure. I had a job like that once in a pump and tank business (running the installation department), and when I started showing very good profits, all of a sudden my "branch overhead" went from $15,000/month to $25,000/month. The reason given is that I was making money now and I could afford to pay the overhead. That was in addition to all overhead generated directly by the employees in my department. It sounds like the owner and you both want to not screw over the other. That is a great start. Who is asking for the job description, you or the owner? Last question on this post, is this something you want to happen?
You are correct sir! Yes, it will be a new branch of the existing business with the owner's oversight as well as the two project managers (one of which is also the estimator) Currently, the owner, the controller, and the manager / estimator are on salary. The second manager is hourly. This was done, I'm told, to have him compensated fairly for doing the extra work in the beginning as they weren't sure if it would take 20, 30, 40 extra hours to cover the bs. The owner is very straightforward and fair with everything I've been exposed to. The job description is being requested by HR to justify compensation. The details of overhead, location of new shop bay rental, and compensation are all being ironed out. We did a factory training and tour yesterday down by where this is all going to happen, and did some scouting of areas on our way back home. And heck yeah I want this to happen. I just don't know realistically what to ask for $ wise...

·
Registered
12,167 Posts
If/when you go on salary, make sure it's with the understanding that when you do, you will no longer be picking up tools or have the stipulation that when you pick up tools you get paid and hourly wage in addition to your salary.

As far as the job description, I don't know how much we can help you without understanding more of the operation of your company. Just how much independence from the main office will you have in this satellite office?

Who is in charge of safety training, safety enforcement?

Will you be approving invoices for payment? Will you generate invoices for the customers? Will you be involved in payroll hours? Will you be doing estimating on smaller jobs? Will you have autonomy when it comes to scheduling or will you be allocating resources according to the owner or project managers you mentioned. What are your responsibilities to DOT regulations and vehicle maintanance/administration?

I think BBQ has some experience in this type of transition, maybe he will chime in and help you.

As far as compensation, it's hard for us southern guys to know, but I think I would start at about $50/hour plus benefits. That may be low for up there, but down here that would be a good wage for what you are going to do (if I understand you correctly).

Remember, you can always go down, but you can't go up after you throw a number out. A lot of people want to try to get the other guy to throw out a number 1st, if you are going to have to throw out a number 1st it's better to be a little high so they can talk you down than to be too low and feel you are being screwed.

If you have any contacts with people in the business with similar jobs, maybe you can get them to give you a range that they think is fair.

I think BBQ might have some good insight into the range, you might want to send him a PM.

I wish you the best of luck, it sounds like this could be a win win for you guys.

Reactions: electricmalone

·
Registered
12,167 Posts
One more thing. Even if the wage is low for what you think it should be, the experience you will gain will be very valuable when you hang your own shingle out (and if they don't pay you well enough, you will be out on your own, based on your enthusiasm).

So, go for it and best of luck. :thumbsup:

Reactions: electricmalone

·
Premium Member
20,046 Posts
I've seem this done using the local union General Foreman rate plus a set weekly stipend.
The stipend lets say is $500 per week,
You are going to be a field and service guy and pretty much be the shop superintendent.
One step further is to see if you can get a % of the profit on each job! not net profit as these are "wiggly" numbers.
Use the sheet your estimators submit and see if you can get 5% off of each job you manage.

If the boss is a smart guy, he has a number in mind already. So, don't go in low.

·
Kind of a big deal here
924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hardworkingstiff said:
If/when you go on salary, make sure it's with the understanding that when you do, you will no longer be picking up tools or have the stipulation that when you pick up tools you get paid and hourly wage in addition to your salary. As far as the job description, I don't know how much we can help you without understanding more of the operation of your company. Just how much independence from the main office will you have in this satellite office? Who is in charge of safety training, safety enforcement? Will you be approving invoices for payment? Will you generate invoices for the customers? Will you be involved in payroll hours? Will you be doing estimating on smaller jobs? Will you have autonomy when it comes to scheduling or will you be allocating resources according to the owner or project managers you mentioned. What are your responsibilities to DOT regulations and vehicle maintanance/administration? I think BBQ has some experience in this type of transition, maybe he will chime in and help you. As far as compensation, it's hard for us southern guys to know, but I think I would start at about $50/hour plus benefits. That may be low for up there, but down here that would be a good wage for what you are going to do (if I understand you correctly). Remember, you can always go down, but you can't go up after you throw a number out. A lot of people want to try to get the other guy to throw out a number 1st, if you are going to have to throw out a number 1st it's better to be a little high so they can talk you down than to be too low and feel you are being screwed. If you have any contacts with people in the business with similar jobs, maybe you can get them to give you a range that they think is fair. I think BBQ might have some good insight into the range, you might want to send him a PM. I wish you the best of luck, it sounds like this could be a win win for you guys.
In the beginning, we are looking to stay hourly with OT. The main office will be helping out with a high percentage of the administrative end. Safety training through main office existing safety program. I currently do and will continue to create and submit invoicing to the girls at the main office to finalize billing. I will eventually be doing the payroll input for the guys I'll have. Initially I will be grabbing labor from the existing shops when needed. I already currently do a majority of my own and one other guy's scheduling. The owner and the two project managers will be handling estimating, bringing me in on a few at a time for training purposes. DOT regs need not apply, our biggest truck is a van. The monetary compensation is a tough one for me to figure out. Most people are extremely reluctant to discuss what they make.
The company started the satellite office I work out of about 6 years ago, with my current supervisor doing what they are testing the waters for me to do. I'm looking forward to what lies ahead... As long as the price is right.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.