Electrician Talk banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
4,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The back of my truck is constantly filled with trash bags, cardboard boxes, old light fixtures and torn out panels. Very few jobs we are on have a dumpster on site. So I bag everything up in contractor trash bags, and haul it around with me until it gets full.

The dump downtown costs $20 a pop to unload the bed of the truck!!! :eek: This is highway robbery.

I've thought about buying another trash can from the city, but that's like $125. Other than trolling around town looking for empty job sites, using your neighbors trash can, or maybe a nearby apartment dumpster - what are you guys doing to get rid of all the trash?

·
Bootlegger
4,379 Posts
Cardboard gets dropped in recycle dumpters at other customers recycle dumpsters, and all metal gets piled up at the shop and scrap guy comes and gets it once a week or so. He has to take it all, at no cost, but he must sort it all out at his location.

·
corn-fused
4,769 Posts
$20 a pop is cheap for a pickup load! where you at? maybe its worth the drive with gas prices back where they should be!:laughing:

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
Get a shop dumpster and save yourself countless trips to the dump. I can't imagine trying to stuff all the garbage I bring back some days into a garbage can. That's not happening!

·
Bababoee
9,187 Posts
my garbage company will pretty much take anything I put out. within reason of course. If I do a job replacing like 100 2 x4 s in a store I will take that stuff to a local recycling place. but my garbage company will happily take the normal day to day stuff. every once in a while I will give them a few bucks or buy them breakfast at the deli by me.
but if I know I will be at a job with a dumpster I will bring the big stuff I have been hanging on to there.

·
RIP 1959-2015
10,750 Posts
The back of my truck is constantly filled with trash bags, cardboard boxes, old light fixtures and torn out panels. Very few jobs we are on have a dumpster on site. So I bag everything up in contractor trash bags, and haul it around with me until it gets full.

The dump downtown costs $20 a pop to unload the bed of the truck!!! :eek: This is highway robbery.

I've thought about buying another trash can from the city, but that's like $125. Other than trolling around town looking for empty job sites, using your neighbors trash can, or maybe a nearby apartment dumpster - what are you guys doing to get rid of all the trash?
The 'Charles River':laughing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGfvJc9wLzc

·
Registered
7,985 Posts
I worked with a guy from Boston who said saturdays were oil change day when everybody jockeyed for a spot over the street catch basins.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Around here anything recyclable is free. So cardboard, paper, metal, electronics, some plastics.

That would take care of the boxes, flyers, manuals, instructions, some plastic packaging, old wire, old panels, knockouts, old boxes/JBs, and probably some stuff I'm not thinking about. It really doesn't leave all that much to go to garbage.

Are you seriously complaining about $20 a truck load for garbage? That is cheap!

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
39,118 Posts
I don't haul away any trash unless I supplied the fixtures. If they supplied the fixtures, the box stays there. On a remodel job with a gc, he should have a dumpster there, or im leaving my trash.

Same here. If I haul it in, I take its remains out.

Some jobs have dumpsters. Those that don't, I designate a spot to put all the trash (usually garage in a house).

There's always enough boxes to put everything in, between the fixtures, fans and the boxes my material came in to box everything up so there's no loose trash.

·
Registered
Scada Supervisor
2,189 Posts
Philadelphia was the same

I worked with a guy from Boston who said saturdays were oil change day when everybody jockeyed for a spot over the street catch basins.
That was Philly in the 70's:eek:

·
Registered
7,789 Posts
We have a dumpster at the shop.

It's just another expense.

Going to the dump is never an option. Do what you do best (sell and install) and pay others to do their things.

I did a restaurant several years ago and they wanted to split the dumpster costs between contractors. We had it excluded. Most of the trash on a job like that was shipping materials that we had nothing to do with us.

·
NJ-IEC
14,387 Posts

Nearby rivers. :laughing:

I'm lucky because garbage disposal comes with the property taxes so all of it gets put into a garbage can(s) and left by the curb for pick up. This is very beneficial. however, our company policy is this, if the garbage comes from a homeowner bought light fixture/ ceiling fan or whatever it stays with them and is not our responsibility. this is in all of our contract/ proposals. Do you do this?

·
Mad Skills
5,803 Posts
- what are you guys doing to get rid of all the trash?

If I have to haul out trash, I'll work a little some some for that into my bid.
Is adding 1.5% to the cost of the job going to put the job in the toilet for you?
...5%?

If the GC isn't taking of the basic housekeeping on a job, you should be compensated for your efforts in keeping a trash free jobsite.

·
Registered
4,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Nearby rivers. :laughing:

I'm lucky because garbage disposal comes with the property taxes so all of it gets put into a garbage can(s) and left by the curb for pick up. This is very beneficial. however, our company policy is this, if the garbage comes from a homeowner bought light fixture/ ceiling fan or whatever it stays with them and is not our responsibility. this is in all of our contract/ proposals. Do you do this?
I don't have any thing like that in any of my proposals. I've always just packed it up, and hauled it out, unless the GC was handling the cleanup.

The city used to allow us to put everything out there too. Until they decided to only let us put out the city trash cans and no loose stuff. Must have been the budget cuts or something.

Is adding 1.5% to the cost of the job going to put the job in the toilet for you?
...5%?

If the GC isn't taking of the basic housekeeping on a job, you should be compensated for your efforts in keeping a trash free jobsite.
An extra $100 for cleanup & disposal wouldn't kill me. This may be what I will have to do.

But finding time to go to the dump sucks, I'd honestly rather use my neighbors trash cans when they're not looking. :w00t:

·
RIP 1959-2015
10,750 Posts
I don't have any thing like that in any of my proposals. I've always just packed it up, and hauled it out, unless the GC was handling the cleanup.

The city used to allow us to put everything out there too. Until they decided to only let us put out the city trash cans and no loose stuff. Must have been the budget cuts or something.

An extra $100 for cleanup & disposal wouldn't kill me. This may be what I will have to do.

But finding time to go to the dump sucks, I'd honestly rather use my neighbors trash cans when they're not looking. :w00t:
Make sure you mark it up!:laughing:

·
Registered
14,325 Posts
If I don't feel like going to the shop to fill up our roll off some restaurant's dumpster is getting a donation when I stop for breakfast. :laughing::whistling2:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts