Electrician Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i work on industrial air compressors, mostly electric. i deal with electric motors, various switches, control solenoids, contactors etc. while i like the electrical side of the job, i'm too fond of the oil changing and filter spinning that i usually do.

i like the service tech job, freedom of the road, not being tied to an office all day. how hard would it be for me to take my current skills and transition over into an hvac tech? i know there are some similarities in the components used in the two fields. can any techs weigh in or give opinions.

thanks

·
Premium Member
2,047 Posts
I have a certificate in Industrial / Commercial HVAC from Brazosport College but I have never worked at the HVAC trade. From what you say I think that the only place you would be happy is working on commercial or industrial chillers. In those lines you would be working on centrifugal , screw and reciprocating compressors but you are going to have to take some HVAC classes. I really don't think you would be happy working on residential and light commercial HVAC equipment.

LC

·
Premium Member
2,047 Posts
I am a Industrial Electrician I work in the high voltage distribution dept In a process plant.

I also have a certificate in Industrial Commercial Electricity from Brazosport and I did my electrical apprenticeship through Associated Builders and Contractors in Lake Jackson .

I have been around plenty of industrial chillers.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ideally I'd like to get into I & E but people automatically assume I'm just a mechanic when they hear I work on air compressors. Yes there's mechanical stuff involved but there's also a lot of electronics. Getting over the "mechanic" stigma is my biggest deal.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.