Electrician Talk banner

Jobs for electricians

2K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  Cujo 
#1 ·
#11 ·
I believe you need a lot of paperwork to actually work there and they will do their best to hire a citizen b4 you- as for them working here- we dont descriminate like they do- but i am bitter!!
WTF are you talking about? I am a Canadian citizen and working legit in the US is almost impossible. Alberta has more oil than Saudi Arabia but its mined or driven to the surface with steam. It's a complicated process. Alberta doesn't have enough skilled labor and it's going to get worse. They have to bring in foreign workers. I would rather work beside an American than some guy who can barely speak English.

Get your facts straight, man. We are harmonizing the CEC with the NEC. Does that sound discriminatory?

#12 ·
I went on to the link you posted.saw a video of the camp, and it didn't seem as bad as I expected. I was under the impression that it was a rough and tough place filled with fist fights and brawlers. I have recently been put on unemployment and have two little girls and a wife. Didn't mean to send you the wrong impression. I do like to have a few beers to unwind after work, and I thought this was not allowed. I just threw the other part in for fun. Besides, there is no work in Vegas. Jk. Are there any Americans there now. If so, how does it work for insurance since you guys have a government ran system.maybe Obama care would be reciprocal now haha.

#15 · (Edited)
I'm not sure how it works for Americans. We do see Brits and Australians here and they have to challenge the journeyman exam. Since the CEC and NEC are similar that might not be a huge problem for Americans. It's also beneficial to have CSTS, fall arrest, H2S, etc. You can take some of these courses on line. You would likely have to provide your own health care. As far as I know, Canadian health care is only open to citizens and permanent residents.

The pay is good. I subcontracted up there at a flat rate of $65.00 an hour. Based on a seventy hour week, once I paid a JM overtime, holiday pay, insurance, etc., I was only making about $400.00 a week off of him. Essentially, I was a labor broker. Materials, camp, etc. we're provided. As a working grunt you would make almost as much as I did as a sub.

#13 ·
What kind of gloves have you found that will keep your hands reasonably warm and allow enough dexterity to do anything?

In the states, there are all sorts of "pretty" gloves sold, but very few that provide any real winter warmth. The gloves that are warm, are about useless to work in. I normally have 2 pair with me, one for warmth and a lighter pair for more precise work.

In the area where I live, It usually does not get much below 0 degrees F, But wind and humidity adds to the discomfort. Yes, proper winter clothes are a matter of life and death.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.