Electrician Talk banner

21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
8,116 Posts
Ok, the job's in August on a sunny day on a smelly rooftop accessible by extension ladder infested with cats and the client will meet your there with their designer and the GC I think, because there's no prints, so design-build some track lighting next to the exhaust from the RTUs.

·
Registered
Low Voltage, Multi-Family Residential Electrical Construction, Fire Alarm and Life Safety
52 Posts
One of the best lessons I learned as an apprentice was "where there's chaos, there's cash."
You are SO right! Last year I made an extra $40k in re-work and change orders.

·
Dope-less Hope Fiend
electrician
681 Posts
Reactions: d2043

·
Registered
Retired IBEW inside wireman
265 Posts
How 'bout working on a good job---mcc, rigid, HV terms, spring time weather----and one the crew-members hates the foreman,GF, company owner,his own wife, everyone around him, break time complainer---doesn't that ruin it for everyone else?...been on a few of those.

·
Registered
Retired Low Voltage installer (Fire, Access, Security)
307 Posts
IT just forgot to set up a port, but a whole day wasted nonetheless.
Trying to explain to customers that the problem happened because their IT people did a port audit and closed all ports outside what they considered normal, deeming them a security risk. IT opens the port and everything is back to normal, until the next port audit.
I had to do it so often that I got pretty good at it.

·
Super Moderator
Pres., GPS Timers
6,834 Posts
JOBS THAT YOU DISLIKE THE MOST.. WORKING IN A TRENCH IN FREEZING WEATHER? 100 DEGREE ATTICS? CEILING FANS? TRACK LIGHTS?
100 degree attic here would be a pleasure.
Try 150, 180.
I've never measured temps in attics around here, but it's much more than 100F.
Depending on who you ask, temps get well above 150F and as high as 180F.
Hydrate!

·
Registered
Scada Supervisor
2,966 Posts
Rework a new project. Nothing worse than paying someone then having to fix their mistakes or things they did not know how to fix.

Reactions: MikeFL

·
Registered
6 Posts
Two way switches are impossible to know how to orient them. Should it be one switch up and one switch down for ON, both switches same position = OFF. Either way, the OCD in me will have me running to both ends of the circuit to be sure the switches are in the right positions after installation or just in normal use.

·
DGFVT
2,521 Posts
What really sucked the worst was doing work in slumloard rentals. The only reason they wanted to fix **** is because the fire marshal or building inspector told them the work had to be done or they couldn’t rent the place out. And they were always wanting the work done on the cheep and would be real slow in paying.

·
Registered
2 Posts
What really sucked the worst was doing work in slumloard rentals. The only reason they wanted to fix **** is because the fire marshal or building inspector told them the work had to be done or they couldn’t rent the place out. And they were always wanting the work done on the cheep and would be real slow in paying.
Very true

·
Registered
17 Posts
Having to do new commercial with no print,waiting to have one drawn and stamped but never comes and the county inspectors look other way. Just a simple resturant,with 800 amp and 6 sub panels. full service kitchen. Just do IT! Nice site drawings but nothing for trades.

·
Registered
33 Posts
100 degree attic here would be a pleasure.
Try 150, 180.
I've never measured temps in attics around here, but it's much more than 100F.
Depending on who you ask, temps get well above 150F and as high as 180F.
Hydrate!
Florida and TX are just like that. I remember one TX job where a vaulted ceiling was modified (6 inch rock wool insulation). We added thermal barrier on the drywall, then fir out 1.5 inches, added rigid foam with thermal's barrier reflecting back to the ceiling through an air gap and then....sheetrock again. The air conditioner finally cooled the room. When I was adding a box extender and installing the ceiling fan I actually BURNED my finger on the original box, it was metal and had to be 200 degrees or more.
I left the problem with the engineers who did nothing.
With attic in those two states 15 minutes in the usual maximum time that I feel is safe. Rehydrate and cool can take half an hour some days, especially in humid FL.

·
Coffee drinking member
I pretwist and then use wire nuts. Solder pots rule.
13,734 Posts
You still replace ballasts? I just wire to 120V direct led tubes, I tell them I don't work with vapor bulbs any longer. Much better for everyone and easier. The hassle is making sure you have the tombstones handy for the lamp type. Kaching as well.
I hate it so much I haven't done it in years. I let the kids do it.

21 - 40 of 54 Posts