Electrician Talk banner

41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
I used to absolutely hate hanging ceiling fans, Considered it my most dispised electrical job, it seemed that no two ever went up the same... a million tiny part... balancing the blades... etc. etc. Well after finally finishing a big job today, my new most dispised job is hanging Track Lights. I had forgotten what a royal pain in the bu** they are! :mad:
You do the attic stuff, I'll do the fans. Easy Peasy...

·
Premium Member
Working With the Tools
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
100 degree attic here would be a pleasure.
Try 150, 180.
I've never measured temps in attics around here, but it's much more than 100F.
Depending on who you ask, temps get well above 150F and as high as 180F.
Hydrate!
Excellent point... See the new title of the thread.

·
Registered
Electrical Contractor
2,367 Posts
I build complex process panels. I hate it when engineering can't deliver proper plans. It's like I'm having to perform both my job and theirs.
Do what I do. Charge for red ink. That's as subtle as I can be.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I used to absolutely hate hanging ceiling fans, Considered it my most dispised electrical job, it seemed that no two ever went up the same... a million tiny part... balancing the blades... etc. etc. Well after finally finishing a big job today, my new most dispised job is hanging Track Lights. I had forgotten what a royal pain in the bu** they are! :mad:
IMHO hanging ceiling fans and track lights were a piece of cake compared to climbing up a dirty 60+ foot silo to work on the unloader. Removing the motor and replacing it when it couldn't be repaired in the silo. All this by oneself. I'm guessing we all have a job or 2 we really dislike. But i just kept thinking-----the money was good.

·
Registered
Retired after working 37 years as an inside wireman in NYC.
1 Posts
Anything in cold weather!

·
I like ceiling fans & EMT
Former commercial, occasional (small) residential
757 Posts
Any electrical job around the house when my wife is asking me if I know what I'm doing after 46 years in the trade & 34 years as a master electrician.
Sounds like my parents. They hired a guy to replace their garage door opener because "They wanted a professional."

·
I like ceiling fans & EMT
Former commercial, occasional (small) residential
757 Posts
Least favorite: Crawlspaces, attics you cant walk around in, and anything outside, especially if it involves digging or mud.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I dislike working on any project that is poorly managed. Every other trade depends on us to do our job so they can do theirs. As such, it's important that I know about EVERYTHING that's going on so that I can anticipate everyone's needs before they ask me for it. We're one of the first trades on site and one of the last to leave so it's easy to blame us for anything that goes wrong.

So in a lot of situations I have to be the bigger person and correct some of the stuff that I didn't screw up. I don't mind bending over backwards if it makes everyone else job easier but when I start getting "dumped on" or my feet get held to the fire because I'm kind enough to answer my phone while the other trades duck and dodge their responsibilities, that's where I draw the line and stop being nice.

I'd be a rich man if I had $100 for every time I got hammered for not having my wiring roughed in on a wall that hasn't even been built yet. 😄
This job that I am now is by far the most challenging. I came in to a job where the general bailed for 14 months, but had their concrete laborer do the plumbing and wiring.. Everything was wrong and all the wiring had to be ripped out. I looked at the job card and the framing was not even signed off on, and the plumbing was not inspected and was wrong. Around here the framing has to be signed off on before anyone can drill a hole. It's been an absolute nightmare.
It's a disaster, but fortunately the person I am working with was a carpenter/builder before becoming an electrical contractor, so we caught all the issues and had the general correct them.
Lack of management was the problem, the architect sucked and said to put GFI's on the refrigerator, garbage disposal and dishwasher, but the worst thing was his framing, it is a shame that some architects and contractors could produce a product (addition) that made it apperent that they absolutely didn't know what they were doing. And now, the owners are a bit upset because (they think) that the electrical rough in should have been finished by now.

·
Premium Member
Working With the Tools
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
This job that I am now is by far the most challenging. I came in to a job where the general bailed for 14 months, but had their concrete laborer do the plumbing and wiring.. Everything was wrong and all the wiring had to be ripped out. I looked at the job card and the framing was not even signed off on, and the plumbing was not inspected and was wrong. Around here the framing has to be signed off on before anyone can drill a hole. It's been an absolute nightmare.
It's a disaster, but fortunately the person I am working with was a carpenter/builder before becoming an electrical contractor, so we caught all the issues and had the general correct them.
Lack of management was the problem, the architect sucked and said to put GFI's on the refrigerator, garbage disposal and dishwasher, but the worst thing was his framing, it is a shame that some architects and contractors could produce a product (addition) that made it apperent that they absolutely didn't know what they were doing. And now, the owners are a bit upset because (they think) that the electrical rough in should have been finished by now.
My SIL was on a job just like that a few years ago... the architect was such a disaster and the HO's were so demanding and changed their minds so much that the GC and all the subs walked away.

41 - 54 of 54 Posts