Electrician Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
RIP 1959-2015
39,624 Posts
Hello, I'm John from Texas. I have been reading post here for about a month now and have already learned a lot here. I have been an electrician in residential for 25 years now. I took a 2 year electrical trade program in high school (VICA) and got a residential wiremans license 6 months after I graduated. I was studying for my J-mans license but in 2004, Texas took over the licensing and allowed me to grandfather up to a J-man without taking the test. I didnt prefer to do it that way but they basically removed that license, it was either go down to the apprentice license or up to the J-man.

I worked for various company's for the first 10 years, becoming a lead man after 4 years. I finally found a company I really liked and worked there for the last 15 years and then was laid off recently. I had been wanting to start my own company for a while because so tired of just barely able to pay bills and such. I bought $450 worth of Tom Henry books and have been hard at it for a few months now. I am studying the J-man level stuff first to bring my education up to the level it should already be at and then continue with the master level. I only did commercial work a few years when I first started so I have a lot to learn!

I plan on taking the master test in the next 3-6 months and hope if I study hard enough that I might pass the first time. I am looking forward to being my own boss finally. I'm pretty good dealing with homeowners as I have been for the past 25 years. My biggest concern is the pricing of the jobs. I have seen what some of my employers charge so I have a general idea but some of the pricing I see here seems way high for my area as compared to what my previous employers are charging, then again maybe that's why the last company is going down the tubes and why I got laid off. Anybody in Texas would like to compare some pricing would be greatly appreciated, I don't want to under bid and screw my self out of money or over bid and not get the jobs so I could really use some help in this area!

:alien:Thanks for reading, John
Hello John Welcome aboard..:thumbsup:

·
Coffee drinking member
I pretwist and then use wire nuts. Solder pots rule.
13,603 Posts
Welcome to ET John, I wish you luck passing the test. We here at ET have an unwritten rule that states, "New guy buys the first round of coffee".
I think it's buried in the TOS section.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts