Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(Not the best test taker)Wanted to make some flash cards to prepare for the Ca. journeyman test. Any suggestions? I've already started with Chapters, and Articles. Considering some Formulas ie; voltage drop etc. Thanks for your time.

·
Registered
10 Posts
What part of Cali are you from? Just took test last Friday up here in Santa Clara, know know and know art 210-250 especially the grounding and bonding article!!! I probably had 5 math problems ohms law stuff, and 15 questions regarding chpt 3 wiring methods and materials.. Any questions let me know good luck

·
Registered
10 Posts
Oh yeah I didn't recv a score just at the end of the computer test which is 4 hrs it says pass or fail I passed it and now I have to wait 2 weeks to recv my card. Psi does give you a stamp paper saying you passed good luck

·
Monkey
185 Posts
I did an online thing to give me some kind of structured test to study.

The test is not hard if you can get around the code book.

This is what I used for a couple months before taking the test. And I tried to memorize the sections the best I could.

http://www.delmarlearning.com/brows...id=11725&isbn=0766849015&cat1ID=ET&cat2ID=EXP

You won't see many of the same questions on the test but if you practice on delmar the real test will be easy. I was scoring between 60-75% on the practice and was nervous about the test. I got 90% when I took the real test and was done over 1 hour early.

good luck

·
13,020 Posts
I came up with an NEC flashcard list for my apprentices a few months back. I had them write the code article on one side and the topic on the other, for a few dozen of the most commonly referenced code sections. Here's my list:

(Based on 2011 NEC)

100 Definitions
110.26 Working clearance
200 Grounded conductors
210 Branch circuits
210.8 GFCI
210.12 AFCI
210.52 Dwelling unit receptacles
215 Feeders
220 Calculations
225 Outside branch circuits and feeders
230 Services
230.24 Overhead service clearances
240 Overcurrent protection
240.4(D) Small conductor OCPD
240.6 Standard OCPD sizes
240.21(B) Feeder taps
250 Grounding & bonding
250.30 Grounding separately derived systems
250.52 Grounding electrodes
250.66 Grounding electrode conductor
250.104 Bonding piping systems and structural steel
250.122 Equipment grounding conductors
300 Wiring methods
Table 300.5 Burial depth
310.10(H) Parallel conductors
310.15(B)(3) Adjustment for more than 3 current-carrying conductors
310.15(B)(16) Conductor ampacity
314.16 Box fill
404 Switches
406 Receptacles
408 Panelboards
410 Luminaires
422 Appliances
430 Motors
430.32(A)(1) Motor overload sizing
430.52 Motor branch circuit S.C. and G.F. Protective device
430.248 Single-phase motor full load current
430.250 Three-phase motor full load current
450 Transformers
500 Hazardous locations
501 Class 1 locations (gas)
502 Class 2 locations (dust)
503 Class 3 locations (fiber)
517 Health care facilities
680 Swimming pools and similar installations
Ch. 9 Table 4 Conduit fill
Ch. 9 Table 5 Conductor dimensions
Ch. 9 Table 8 Conductor properties

·
Registered
532 Posts
rosebud1976 said:
What part of Cali are you from? Just took test last Friday up here in Santa Clara, know know and know art 210-250 especially the grounding and bonding article!!! I probably had 5 math problems ohms law stuff, and 15 questions regarding chpt 3 wiring methods and materials.. Any questions let me know good luck
Working out of the 332 here. RCE and been in Los altos mountain view and San Mateo and redwood city.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey Erics37,Couldn't help notice the Newport,Oregon address. Are you preparing your apprentices for an Oregon version of the Ca. journeyman cert.or are you refering to the"California Journeyman Certification" ?Thanks again for your time

·
13,020 Posts
Hey Erics37,Couldn't help notice the Newport,Oregon address. Are you preparing your apprentices for an Oregon version of the Ca. journeyman cert.or are you refering to the"California Journeyman Certification" ?Thanks again for your time
I'm prepping them for the Oregon general Journeyman license, which is analogous to most other state journeyman license exams. Our journeyman test is mostly code (NEC with modifications) with some theory and light calcs mixed in for good measure.

·
Registered
3,867 Posts
The test is a piece of cake. Somewhere over it Mike Holts site there was a 50 question test. I have heard most people finish in about 90 minutes. You will have scratch paper. Use it to keep track of your answers. Make a symbol for 100% positive, 50% positive, and 0% positive. Then you can spend the extra time going over the questions you are not 100% positive about.

Or you can spend the time looking at all the hot chicks next to you.

·
Premium Member
7,413 Posts
The test is a piece of cake. Somewhere over it Mike Holts site there was a 50 question test. I have heard most people finish in about 90 minutes. You will have scratch paper. Use it to keep track of your answers. Make a symbol for 100% positive, 50% positive, and 0% positive. Then you can spend the extra time going over the questions you are not 100% positive about.

Or you can spend the time looking at all the hot chicks next to you.
I heard it used to be easy, and has become really tough (as of last year) ?

Keep in mind, you only get under 2 1/2 minutes a question x 100 questions = 4 hrs

·
Premium Member
7,413 Posts
Time yourself on solving this easy one

A box containing a switch, 6 no 12 conductors that are spliced, and a no.12 equipment grounding conductor. If there are no clamps in the box what size box is required

a) 4x21/8x21/8 device
b) 3x2x3 1/2 device
c) 4x 1 1/2 " sq

·
Registered
3,867 Posts
I heard it used to be easy, and has become really tough (as of last year) ?

Keep in mind, you only get under 2 1/2 minutes a question x 100 questions = 4 hrs
That's actually a good thing. I don't really want to take a day off to go sit for the test again, so that is why I keep mine current. I never know if I am gonna have to need it.

On a side note, I recently received an email from ECC and they are offering the 32 hour CEU online for $200.

·
Premium Member
7,413 Posts
That's actually a good thing. I don't really want to take a day off to go sit for the test again, so that is why I keep mine current. I never know if I am gonna have to need it.

On a side note, I recently received an email from ECC and they are offering the 32 hour CEU online for $200.
Do it ! You may need it sometime.

I haven't taken a class in 20+ years, and now need to pass the J certification for a job requirement/opportunity.

I test on monday and only had a couple weeks of study time available. Cramming hard

Time yourself

A motor controller that is subject to periodic submersing in liquid sewage probably requires a NEMA Type ____ enclosure

a) NEMA 4
b) NEMA 6
c)NEMA 12
d) NEMA 7
e) both b and d

1 - 20 of 21 Posts