Electrician Talk banner

Journeyman liability

504 Views 13 Replies 12 Participants Last post by  brian john
I recently started working for a smaller company and the owner uses a master license. I’m the only journeyman at the company. Am I liable for the company/work done or just the master? Wasn’t worried until someone led me to believe I would be. I guess I should also add I live in Tx and that’s where I got my journeyman
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
Electrical contractor 37 years. Electrical inspector 2 years
4,160 Posts
It all depends on the lawyers and what happened. If you are blantly negligent then maybe criminally if something very serious occurs. If it is just a true accident then most likely the company's general liability will pick up. It all depends 9n the state and the incident.

· Registered
industrial E,I&C
4,786 Posts
A good slimy lawyer will deposition everyone even if they were just in the area. What they are really doing is figuring out what insurance policy's you or even you wife has so they can file a claim.

Insurance will probably settle a small claim rather then spend money fighting it even when it obviously not your fault. There main target is going to be the person with the most money.

E.G someone screws up and someone gets hurt. Person who screwed up has a small insurance policy but the building has a large insurance policy so blame the building owner for allowing you to screw up.
3k a hour lawyer told me its nothing to do with right or wrong its all to do with making a jury fell sorry for the victim especially against the big bad insurance company.

Criminal liability is a different ball game.

· Registered
Power distribution and controls
2,932 Posts
If you are concerned then you need to contact your state licensing folks. Or if you can find and attorney well versed in construction law ask them. Not some guy doing trusts and wills.

I walked off a job where the owner of the electrical company wanted me to put a plastic box in a 14 foot ceiling where the dinning room chandelier would go. Open house with the table full of food, no one sitting there the $5 grand chandelier fell. Some how the owners both attorneys found me and paid me for my time to be an expert witness. When the contractor sued me for slander the same husband and wife defended me for nothing.

My state sort of works under the principal of "if you know it is wrong then you share in the liability". That is my understanding, I do not know the legal description.

Reactions: kb1jb1

Retired
18,708 Posts
I don’t know for sure.
In my state you can search for the license online. For example I can search mine with only my last name. For others, filling out a couple fields will return the result. Its easy here to check if someone has a license. And you can even find out about any board imposed sanctions, license date and expiration.

· Registered
Industrial Wireman
136 Posts
I recently started working for a smaller company and the owner uses a master license. I’m the only journeyman at the company. Am I liable for the company/work done or just the master? Wasn’t worried until someone led me to believe I would be. I guess I should also add I live in Tx and that’s where I got my journeyman
I'm not quite to my masters contractors or my own business status for that matter... But doesn't usually just require that somebody's insured at the end of the day???

· Registered
Electrician
3,732 Posts
In my state you can search for the license online. For example I can search mine with only my last name. For others, filling out a couple fields will return the result. Its easy here to check if someone has a license. And you can even find out about any board imposed sanctions, license date and expiration.
Same here!

· Senile Member
I make all the electrons line up for their Flu shots
37,001 Posts
I remember the CCE magazine ran a story about a J-MAN who was convicted of manslaughter for not tightening a locknut on an exterior light fixture and somebody got electrocuted. So there's that......

· Registered
Electrical contractor 37 years. Electrical inspector 2 years
4,160 Posts
I remember the CCE magazine ran a story about a J-MAN who was convicted of manslaughter for not tightening a locknut on an exterior light fixture and somebody got electrocuted. So there's that......
Or the pool heater installer who went to jail because some tennis star died. Everybody knew the heater was against town policy and nobody was to be sleeping in the pool house. The gazillionaire estate owner, the estate manager, the pool equipment company. It was the low man installation tech left holding the bag.

· Registered
33,524 Posts
There was a case where there was a home fire, an air conditioner caught fire and did damage to their house, and everyone was sued as is normally the case. The electrician was held partially liable by the Jury even though the fire started in a defective contactor. The lawyer for the HO discovered the contractor used liquid tight that was not UL listed and used this to convince the jury that any contractor that would use non-UL Listed products was a hack and this MAY have contributed to the fire. The contractor had no clue the liquid tight was or was not UL listed.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts