Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
Commercial/Industrial and Service work
1,385 Posts
can you expand on your replies, why do you think people will fail the exam in there first two tries?
Also it is only a practical exam any qualified electrician should be confident enough to pass.
Your not understanding you won’t pass. It does t matter if you do good or not until you prove yourself to be a good brother in their eyes so take the night classes and volunteer some time and you will get in. They will probably let you work off a permit to start though before making you a full fledged member

·
Registered
877 Posts
Its a commercial union so what could typically come up? Motor control? Transformer setups? Just moved to the USA and need as much information as possible, thanks man
Dunno man... you gotta check. For IBEW, I got a math exam put in my face and got sent to work a couple days later. My current union had no written exam - only interview.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Your not understanding you won’t pass. It does t matter if you do good or not until you prove yourself to be a good brother in their eyes so take the night classes and volunteer some time and you will get in. They will probably let you work off a permit to start though before making you a full fledged member
So it’s not down to your ability to pass there exam which determines you becoming a union member? Seems absurd to me is all unions like this or just your local?

·
Registered
Commercial/Industrial and Service work
1,385 Posts
Atleast around here it takes more Than being a good electrician to join we follow the contract and constitution and bylaws pretty strictly. They want to make sure that the people the let in will have a good appearance for our local not some scrub who says he can bend pipe. We are well educated and give back to our community

1 - 20 of 74 Posts