Electrician Talk banner
21 - 40 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Atleast around here it takes more Than being a good electrician to join we follow the contract and constitution and bylaws pretty strictly. They want to make sure that the people the let in will have a good appearance for our local not some scrub who says he can bend pipe. We are well educated and give back to our community
Okay got you, being a good electrician isn’t the only thing needed.. like I said I’m new to the country just need as much information as possible.
A union back home is just to protect the workers welfare essentially, which is completely different to here.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Figure out where you're at with certification and licensing. Any union or employer will want to review your credentials.

Around here... you're either looking for an apprenticeship, you're registered in an apprenticeship already, or you're a certified Electrician (journeyman). Licensing is required for contractors (not employees) so not many union guys bother with the fees and hassle.

·
Big nosed attic troll
10,711 Posts
Okay got you, being a good electrician isn’t the only thing needed.. like I said I’m new to the country just need as much information as possible.
A union back home is just to protect the workers welfare essentially, which is completely different to here.
being a good electrician has nothing to do with anything.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Figure out where you're at with certification and licensing. Any union or employer will want to review your credentials.

Around here... you're either looking for an apprenticeship, you're registered in an apprenticeship already, or you're a certified Electrician (journeyman). Licensing is required for contractors (not employees) so not many union guys bother with the fees and hassle.
I’m a certified electrician in Europe served 4 years as an apprentice, just hoping to pass their exam and become a union member.

·
Registered
Commercial/Industrial and Service work
1,362 Posts
No it does the same things here however we have to protect our union as much as they protect us

·
Registered
875 Posts
I’m a certified electrician in Europe served 4 years as an apprentice, just hoping to pass their exam and become a union member.
In Canada there is proper nation-wide certification for a journeyman Electrician. You would have your 4yrs experience vetted by a trades authority, get sent to a refresher course, and write the exam. That certification you earn is how you get hired/paid as a Journeyman.

In the US... it seems you have to work directly with the union/company employing you for what they want. If 'licensing' presents too many obstacles for you, it may be wise to look for industrial/plant type work. The requirements are probably different.

21 - 40 of 74 Posts