Electrician Talk banner
61 - 74 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
36th year apprentice & Floor Sweeper
1,952 Posts
Are you a New Jersey electrical contractor? Jersey seems to be easier to get the EC lisence
Yes I have a contractors license, but I don’t have a Buisness permit anymore. I only got the Buisiness permit added when my daughter was born. It was better that I went out and hustled a few hours instead of the wife working a part time job. I gave up the wife and the buisiness permit, but I have sole custody of my daughter. Time is short, no need to be out of the house anymore.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
A four year vocational high school counts as the four years needed to to take off the two years hands on. I was eligible to take the test before I was 21, but that is the minimum age requirement. Then I waited a little while because I just got into the Union and didn’t want to go to my old employers and have them seal my work experience. My first employer would have given me a hard time because of the way I quit. That and I probably wouldn’t have passed without one of those cheater courses, and I wanted to say I passed without the answers penciled in on loose leaf pages. But I did buckle down and study with some books and had my EC license before my journeyman's ticket.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
A four year vocational high school counts as the four years needed to to take off the two years hands on. I was eligible to take the test before I was 21, but that is the minimum age requirement. Then I waited a little while because I just got into the Union and didn’t want to go to my old employers and have them seal my work experience. My first employer would have given me a hard time because of the way I quit. That and I probably wouldn’t have passed without one of those cheater courses, and I wanted to say I passed without the answers penciled in on loose leaf pages. But I did buckle down and study with some books and had my EC license before my journeyman's ticket.
Nice man hard work pays off👏🏽
basically I served a 4 year apprenticeship in Europe, one of the 4 years was in electrical school, I’ve now got 5 years total electrical experience. Does that qualify for NJ EC lisence?

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Nice man hard work pays off👏🏽
basically I served a 4 year apprenticeship in Europe, one of the 4 years was in electrical school, I’ve now got 5 years total electrical experience. Does that qualify for NJ EC lisence?
Majewski is right with the short answer.

Was the school in Europe an approved school to the department of labor in NJ? And your field experience would have to be with a NJ electrical contractor. I thought they were now making it mandatory, that you need a year or two of school. So just five years hands on won’t be enough to sit for the test. I tried looking that up a while back for another question, but I didn’t find it.

Kinda like years ago when they started a journeymen license. They were going to make it similar to other state, where you need the journeymen or contractor license to be able to work for an EC. That never happened.

·
Big nosed attic troll
10,711 Posts
Majewski is right with the short answer.

Was the school in Europe an approved school to the department of labor in NJ? And your field experience would have to be with a NJ electrical contractor. I thought they were now making it mandatory, that you need a year or two of school. So just five years hands on won’t be enough to sit for the test. I tried looking that up a while back for another question, but I didn’t find it.

Kinda like years ago when they started a journeymen license. They were going to make it similar to other state, where you need the journeymen or contractor license to be able to work for an EC. That never happened.
I usually am.

61 - 74 of 74 Posts