Electrician Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the business I was a partner in just had a parting of ways. I went one way. The owner another. It comes down to money being stolen from me etc.

With that said, I am leaving this state (FLORIDA).

I plan on moving to or near Greenville, SC. I would be immensely grateful to anyone that can suggest companies to work for and...

here is the kicker,

I do not have a J-Card. For you Florida residents, you probably know that most small companies pay little to nothing for one, nor do most care if you have one or not. (This has been my experience over 12 years anyways). I've always been paid at least, if not above, Journeyman wages.

I am a highly skilled Residential, Service and Commercial electrician, I can sell, lead a crew, run calls alone, I just never obtained my J-Card. With this being said I know my move will dictate that I get one. So, should I get it here? If so, does it transfer over to the next state? Or should I wait till I move?

All kinds of questions here:

In summary,

1: Job opportunities in Greenville, SC?

2: When and where (FL or SC) to get the JCard?

3: Where and how do I get the ball rolling on this very important step?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Can't speak for the work in S.C. but as far as the card I doubt it would transfer if you had one. I know my card from MI means nothing in FL. I sure don't understand why they just can't transfer from state to state. Electricity is electricity. I understand there would be code changes along the way but you would adapt to the code in that area. That's pretty much a NO brainer.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Those 12 years of experience would cover the requirements to be able to sit for the electrical contractors license exam in SC, the JCard won't transfer, just the hours of experience. You need to have those hours documented in a way that is acceptable to the licensing board.
http://www.llr.state.sc.us/POL/Contractors/

Greenville is booming right now, shouldn't be hard to find work with an existing contractor to get yourself settled. A contractor would also want to see your experience documented.
Good luck on your move!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
I sure don't understand why they just can't transfer from state to state. Electricity is electricity. I understand there would be code changes along the way but you would adapt to the code in that area. That's pretty much a NO brainer.
I think it has to do with the fact that the amount of on-the-job-training (OJT) and formal schooling (RTI) may be different, as is the examination, or lack thereof. If all states had the same standards, then transferring licenses would be fairly easy and only be a matter of local code.

There's been a couple of good threads on this topic. :whistling2:
http://www.electriciantalk.com/f2/why-isnt-there-national-journeymans-electrical-license-61474/

·
Registered
67 Posts
I think it has to do with the fact that the amount of on-the-job-training (OJT) and formal schooling (RTI) may be different, as is the examination, or lack thereof. If all states had the same standards, then transferring licenses would be fairly easy and only be a matter of local code.

There's been a couple of good threads on this topic. :whistling2:
http://www.electriciantalk.com/f2/why-isnt-there-national-journeymans-electrical-license-61474/
Well in my case if a 4 year apprenticeship in the IBEW wasn't good enough I don't know what would be. As far as I'm concerned you can't beat the training they give you and the 8K hours you need to accumulate to take the test. After 44 years in the trade I don't feel I need to take a test in FL for a Jcard. JMHO :thumbsup: I should mention as well, I did drop out of the union after 9 years.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Anyone on here from Greenville, SC or know of a good all facets of trade company in Greenville, sc?

·
Super Moderator
16,349 Posts
So the business I was a partner in just had a parting of ways. I went one way. The owner another. It comes down to money being stolen from me etc.

With that said, I am leaving this state (FLORIDA).

I plan on moving to or near Greenville, SC. I would be immensely grateful to anyone that can suggest companies to work for and...

here is the kicker,

I do not have a J-Card. For you Florida residents, you probably know that most small companies pay little to nothing for one, nor do most care if you have one or not. (This has been my experience over 12 years anyways). I've always been paid at least, if not above, Journeyman wages.

I am a highly skilled Residential, Service and Commercial electrician, I can sell, lead a crew, run calls alone, I just never obtained my J-Card. With this being said I know my move will dictate that I get one. So, should I get it here? If so, does it transfer over to the next state? Or should I wait till I move?

All kinds of questions here:

In summary,

1: Job opportunities in Greenville, SC?

2: When and where (FL or SC) to get the JCard?

3: Where and how do I get the ball rolling on this very important step?
Anyone on here from Greenville, SC or know of a good all facets of trade company in Greenville, sc?
I'm very close to Greenville, but live in Spartanburg county. I lived in downtown Greenville when I first moved here.

1) Greenville/Spartanburg area is growing. Many from up north are calling our area the new Florida.
So there are plenty jobs. Since you are in Florida, you are used to ****ty pay and thats exactly what your going to get here. ****ty pay.
A seasoned journeyman (construction) would be lucky to make $15 an hour.
Now if you were to get on with BMW, you could make much more.
The pay sucks here. Some of the lowest wages in the country.

2) No reciprocation between Florida and SC. But FL and NC do reciprocate.
So, if you are moving here, you will need to get a SC journeyman's card or master card. The Municipal Association handles journeyman and master licensing. The SC Board of Contractors handles contractors.
Note: You can test for your masters through the contractors board without having to take the journeyman's. This is what I did.

3) I moved here without a job lined up. You can do the same.
What kind of work do you do? Residential, commercial or industrial?
You can find jobs here pretty easy just using the Sunday newspaper.
Get a subscription for the "Greenville News" and or the Spartanburg Herald Journal.

If you need more help let me know.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Well in my case if a 4 year apprenticeship in the IBEW wasn't good enough I don't know what would be. As far as I'm concerned you can't beat the training they give you and the 8K hours you need to accumulate to take the test. After 44 years in the trade I don't feel I need to take a test in FL for a Jcard. JMHO I should mention as well, I did drop out of the union after 9 years.
Here is an example of differing amounts of RTI (Colorado - 228 hrs. vs New Hampshire - 576 hrs.). This is why we have problems...
so I'm thinking about moving to New York State (upstate area) in a few years and want to know what the licensing requirements are. I'll be moving from Colorado where there is a state mandated apprentice program that includes 288 hours of classroom and 8000 hours of on the job to be able to sit for the journeyman test. My plan is to get my JW in Colorado and then move to NY. Does NY recognize other states licenses? Would I have to take their test. Any info on the licensing in NY state would be great.
http://www.education.nh.gov/career/career/elec_appren.htm
To be eligible for the journeyman licensing exam an apprentice electrician must provide documentation of 8,000 hours (approximately 2000 hours per year) of practical work experience in the electrical trade under the supervision of a journeyman or master electrician and a minimum of 576 hours of apprenticeship related instruction over four years. Documentation showing a minimum of 144 hours per year of related instruction is required for apprentices as part of the application process for the exam.

·
Senior Moment
383 Posts
There is no State license available in NY, they are all municipality based and are only in that city only. If you have IBEW/JATC Apprenticeship papers, you can sign Book 2 in any Local in NY State.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
15 an hour? I haven't made that since 2007??? You mean a track home rough in guy? That must be what you mean. Florida has the worst wages I can't see it being worse.

If I don't have a card in SC how would I get a job if they don't reciprocate? They don't require J cards?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts