Where?
How Junior?
What are your responsibilities?
How big is the company?
How big are the project?

·
Registered
31,898 Posts
Shucks Pete, I only can afford 2 kayaks, 2 canoes and a jon boat, where can I become a junior estimator?

·
Registered
9 Posts
and i have a guy in my crew thats been in the trade for over 20 years and is still, on a good day, only a second year apprentice. but at least he shows up every day. ;)

·
Righteously Indignant
38 Posts
It depends on your region, your company, and your performance.

That you're a 3rd year apprentice shouldn't be held as a strike against you. I started estimating when I was in my 3rd year of apprenticeship, but I'd been in the trade for 5 years at that point, and already had my journeyman's license.

Being an estimator is tough business, and being salary makes it even tougher. There are weeks that I'll put in nearly 100 hours when a big estimate needs to be done.

Starting out though, you should make a fair wage, maybe a little more than you have now. As you learn to take off, and get more proficient with the estimating software, your wage should increase.

It's difficult to adjust from being in the field, to being in the office. You've really got to watch what you say, and who you say it to (cussin', dirty jokes, whining, etc) Being in the office when it's 103* like it was today, isn't too bad, but all spring and autumn I miss wearing my tools something awful (even after 10 years of estimating)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.