Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Proud Navy Veteran
1,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greg Jr. recently passed his entrance exam for the local IBEW 26 in MD. He is just waiting for an interview. I gave him some pointers but he is a squared away Marine so I have faith he will do well.

I did tell him do not be surprised if his first year the two tools he needs are a pair of gloves and a shovel. He said he understands everyone has to work their way up. The good thing is when he does need tools I can hook him up like everyone else here I probably have three of everything. This will be fun to watch him develop in the next stage of his life.

·
IBEW L.U. 1852
5,261 Posts
I followed my Dad and my uncle into the trade and subsequently into the IBEW as well.
My oldest daughter is graduating this year from a composite high school and has the highest marks in her electrical shop class........and is following me into the IBEW as well. :thumbsup:

I also have three cousins who are in IBEW local 1852 as well. My family is full of sparkies (soon to be 7 of us) yet my wife has to wait to get those pot lights installed under the front verandah roof.

·
Electrical Contractor
9,325 Posts
yet my wife has to wait to get those pot lights installed under the front verandah roof.
Sounds familiar. Install all sorts of neat stuff in other people's house but mine is pretty basic!! My oldest son is working for me and kinda wish my 19 year old would take an interest in it as I think there's more of a future in the electrical field rather than the concrete business!!

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
Ah yea, I'm sort of following my father into this trade.

·
Bilge Rat
motors and controls.........
8,477 Posts
Here's how I look at it; getting into any of the construction trades, you'll be making money your first day on the job. When you have completed your apprenticeship, you have zero student loads to pay off.

It seems to me that more of us old-timers are bailing out than young guys getting in. A shortage of labor usually results in higher wages, and even better, job security. There will always be a need for electricians. Always.

I'm 57, I just loaded my generator into my van. It's 5 KVA and weighs about 200 lbs. I had no trouble loading it by myself. Not even a sore back. How many guys my age (or any age, for that matter...) could do this. If I worked in an office, I seriously doubt that I could even get it off the ground, let alone lift it 30".

I have no mortgage on my house. Never had one. I built it myself. Seriously, my own two hands did about 95% of the actual work. It took about 2 years, but having no house payment was WAY worth it. How many non-trade guys could have pulled that off?

Certainly, there are disadvantages to trade work, but for me, they are comparatively small. It's cold outside, or hot. I get very little respect. I'm always pushed to my limits. And while these matter during work time, they pale in comparison to what the trade has done for me.

·
Registered
7,881 Posts
My 41 YO son is an electrician as well. I didn't want him to enter the trades but, 20+ years ago, when it was clear it was going to happen, I asked him to join me in business.

I have higher hopes for my teen aged grand kids.

It's an honest way to earn a living but there has got to be a better way.

@ 62, I could get a 200# generator in my truck but I really really really don't want to. :laughing:

·
zap
1,339 Posts
I didn't follow the same foot steps as my pops but the same general path. He's a power company big shot now but started in the field as a meter reader.

I thoroughly enjoy being an electrician, I really enjoy troubleshooting and repair. The money is awesome for this area. There are definitely some complaints but those come with life. Like the other have said the trade as been very good to me. Some of my friends will still being paying on their student loans at 40-45.

·
Registered
Contractor
674 Posts
I got into this trade because of my father too.

A college degree is looked at as the holy grail...or holy-er grail. If you know what you're doing, and you're good at it, you can make a very comfortable living as an electrician.

My older brother has a degree in accounting, lost his job, and now guess who hes working under now...this guy!

Things may be slow sometimes, but I can always make some money.

·
Registered
11,762 Posts
Greg Jr. recently passed his entrance exam for the local IBEW 26 in MD. He is just waiting for an interview. I gave him some pointers but he is a squared away Marine so I have faith he will do well.

I did tell him do not be surprised if his first year the two tools he needs are a pair of gloves and a shovel. He said he understands everyone has to work their way up. The good thing is when he does need tools I can hook him up like everyone else here I probably have three of everything. This will be fun to watch him develop in the next stage of his life.

Just tell him he already has more common sense then the teachers and material as is. :laughing: Put your thoughts in a safe place. Once your done forget what you've experienced and start using what you put away.

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
There is no reason you cannot get a 4 year degree and get your electrical license. ;)

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
Let me expand, why I don't want my kid in the trade.
All those things about being physically fit and mechanically inclined are great attributes.
I however am at a point where I see my enjoyment at work at an all time low. It's in gratifing working your ass off and having little to show. My dislike of my job is starting to affect me personal life. I am very hostile and agitated while not at work.
It seems there is always a hoop to jump through for me to do my work.
People in general don't give two sh!ts . And every day seems like a battle, and I am sick of it.
I'm 33 been in thks trade since I was 20. And not sure I want to stand put.
Any monkey can pull wire bend pipe. Etc...
The type of contractors I see who want the work done want it done cheaper, faster , and quality is out the window.
I hope for my sons sake he sees me and decides to stay in school. To boss some other grubby electricians around for nickels.
End rant

·
Registered
14,471 Posts
I told she who must be obeyed that when we have kids they can work for her in the panel shop. :laughing:

·
zap
1,339 Posts
NacBooster29 said:
Let me expand, why I don't want my kid in the trade. All those things about being physically fit and mechanically inclined are great attributes. I however am at a point where I see my enjoyment at work at an all time low. It's in gratifing working your ass off and having little to show. My dislike of my job is starting to affect me personal life. I am very hostile and agitated while not at work. It seems there is always a hoop to jump through for me to do my work. People in general don't give two sh!ts . And every day seems like a battle, and I am sick of it. I'm 33 been in thks trade since I was 20. And not sure I want to stand put. Any monkey can pull wire bend pipe. Etc... The type of contractors I see who want the work done want it done cheaper, faster , and quality is out the window. I hope for my sons sake he sees me and decides to stay in school. To boss some other grubby electricians around for nickels. End rant
sounds like you may need to change shops

·
Banned
I make all the electrons line up for their Flu shots
33,456 Posts
I just want my son to be the next Joe Walsh. Can't I get my way just once?

·
RIP 1959-2015
39,618 Posts

Great news Greg, I'm sure your son will make you a proud father even more than now,,,,,Good work...:thumbsup:

·
Registered
678 Posts
I would rather my kids not to work as hard as I do but at the same time.........
College education is one of the biggest hustles nowadays
All the college education going around has created a bunch of know it alls and a culture of laziness.

As long as my kids grow up honest, humble, and can find happiness in honest work I'm happy

1 - 20 of 28 Posts