Electrician Talk banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a heads up , I got a call today about a new LED pole light I put up a month ago.
Lags broke!!
Those cheap garbage lags that came with the light for mounting the heads popped off.
200 bucks smashed!!
Don't use the supplied lags guys , not worth it.

·
Registered
5,523 Posts
$20 bet on them being from China. :whistling2:
More likely India.

I had an inspector bounce me on a project a few years ago because I could not prove the source of my J bolts prior to a concrete pour. The local municipality had supposedly passed an ordinance saying that you can only use anchor bolts that were made in the USA. He said it was because bolts from India were flooding the market and they were all roll formed threads, not cut threads, and that meant they were weaker (I don't know if that's true or not). I had no idea there was any other method of making a bolt than threading one, but I was wrong. Turns out roll formed bolts are different in that the threaded part is of a greater diameter than the unthreaded part, vs machined threads where they start with a thicker rod and cut the threads into it. I never got a chance to confirm if that really was an ordinance or not, because my concrete truck as sitting there turning, waiting to pour, and we know that arguing with an inspector is like mud wrestling a pig. So we had to scramble around to all the supply houses in the area looking for American made anchor bolts. Came to discover that ALL of the anchor bolts, regardless of brand and style, were coming from India. They must be so cheap that everyone else gave up. NOT ONE of the local supply houses had EVER heard of this supposed ordinance by the way.

How I solved it was to convince one supplier to give me a burlap sack from some landscaping spikes he had which said "Made in the USA". I bought new anchor bolts from him (from India) and put them into that burlap sack, took it to the job site and showed it to the inspector, who accepted it and let us pour. :censored:

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ha,ha. Nice!
Seems to be no other options any more.
I don't want to buy junk . but if that's all you can get your stuck!
I am one of those made in North America kind of guys but , money talks.
You buy so called brand names for the quality and read the fine print only to find it's the same crap that everybody else imports.
But we still pay the big price tag though.
I don't understand these companies spend years building a good name only to throw it away for a few pennies on the dollar

·
Registered
14,471 Posts
I almost never use what comes with the fixture or equipment. The whole hardware bag goes right in the round file.

·
Estwing magic
26,397 Posts
Trying to find a good fastener of any kind is problematic. Too much offshore garbage out there. Brand name doesn't mean much anymore. Price really isn't a consideration when you throw half of them away.

·
Registered
7,881 Posts
Those cheap garbage lags that came with the light for mounting the heads popped off.
Wait....lags to attach a fixture head to a pole? A wood pole? An LED on a wood pole seems like a culture clash time warp thing. I'm thinking thru bolt.

I almost never use what comes with the fixture or equipment. The whole hardware bag goes right in the round file.
:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
220/221 said:
Wait....lags to attach a fixture head to a pole? A wood pole? An LED on a wood pole seems like a culture clash time warp thing. I'm thinking thru bolt. :thumbup:
Your right, but not designed for thru bolt.
Same fixture as this one.
Thinking I should change the lags on it too! It's only been up a week or so

Attachments

·
Registered
428 Posts
I have put up one of those led yard lights I don't remember the manufacture of it though... It was put up over 2 weeks ago and I don't remember if I used the supplied lags haha.

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Hmacanada said:
Your right, but not designed for thru bolt. Same fixture as this one. Thinking I should change the lags on it too! It's only been up a week or so
oh , that's common down , lol ! I feel your pain . I snap more heads off of garbage screws and bolts anymore and I'm pretty sure I'm not getting stronger than I used to be , lol ? Another unfortunate sign of the times , I'm afraid !

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
dmxtothemax said:
Can't you ditch the cheap lag and use a good quality stainless bolt ?
Oh ya, I can. Just didn't have any with me so I used the galvanized ones it came with . Mistake!
As far as the old building ..behind the board is a 12" square beam, pretty sure the beam isn't going anywhere , the lags on the other hand ... Not so much!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts