Electrician Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
AC1
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone run into any issues with the Juno ic44n recess lights, they take a low voltage 50 watt mr-16. I had a customer with a bunch that keep burning up the sockets. Another electrician replaced the sockets and they also are burning up. The lights are only 3 years old and all the sockets had to be replaced except for 2 out of the 8.

·
Premium Member
20,981 Posts
Any chance they got insulated in? Or are up against sheathing?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Have a customer here with a 12k sqft house loaded with and within 3 yrs of install start replacing sockets. He know carries about 12 in is mechanical room for spares. The lights are all over the house in different situations.

·
Electrical Contractor
5,641 Posts
Has anyone run into any issues with the Juno ic44n recess lights, they take a low voltage 50 watt mr-16. I had a customer with a bunch that keep burning up the sockets. Another electrician replaced the sockets and they also are burning up. The lights are only 3 years old and all the sockets had to be replaced except for 2 out of the 8.
About 3 years ago, Phillips had a bad production run of their color corrected MR16 bulbs.

The insulating compound was a bit too thick at the pins, preventing the pins from going into the sockets all the way. Some units wouldn't light up and others just burned up the sockets.

Phillips never admitted it, but when we used a different manufacturer, everything worked well.

Lately, I have replaced sockets in both Junos and Lightolier fixtures. And they all seem to have been installed 3 years ago.

On a side note, the Juno 44 socket has metal reflector built into it. \Are the replacement sockets the same, or are they using the generic sockets?

·
Electrical Contractor
5,641 Posts
They are IC type cans and the replacement sockets do not have that shield. So Scord your saying the issue is only with Philips bulbs.
I still use Phillips MR16s.
3 years ago was just a bad production run. But the bad connection created a bit of overheating and damaged the socket. These fixtures run hot anyways, so a bit of damage a few years ago, will eventually work itself into a complete failure.
The shield on the socket is supposed to direct the heat down, away from the top of the can. Does it really do anything? IDK, but that's the way the manufacturer built them.
Get actual Juno replacement sockets, not generic ones.

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
Years ago, we wired a high end home with all 4" low volt eye ball trims that took MR 16's. Within months the homeowner complained that the trims were discoloring. Sure enough they were. They were replaced under warranty and the replacements did the same thing. A manufacturer rep was sent out and the only solution they had was to replace them with a different trim completely.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.