Electrician Talk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all! I'm new to the site so I apologize in advance if I'm posting in the wrong location. I'm currently in the process of pursuing a career as a inside wireman. In fact, I just had my interview today. All in all I think it went okay, at least I hope so! A lot of the questions that I anticipated would be asked wasn't; this came as somewhat of a surprise.

I have been navigating around various sites trying to gather useful information to aid me in this process. It seems as if many of the locals from various states send you a letter informing you of a score after your interview. I've seen these scores range from in the 50s to the lower 90s. Is receiving this letter a normal practice after interviews by all locals? The reason I ask is because directly after my interview today, they handed me a letter which for the most part is a follow-up notification concerning my application for the apprenticeship.

The second paragraph in this letter discusses requesting consideration for an additional oral interview after one year from the original interview date. With the request, I must provide documentation that I've gained a lease one thousand hours of electrical construction work experience or have successfully completed two or more posts secondarily trade related classes that would enhance my chances for possible selection.

Receiving this letter during the interview concerned me because I was under the impression that I would receive a letter in the mail informing me of a numerical score. In which I would base where I potentially could fall in the list of new hire apprentices. I.e. Someone who scored a 93 would enter the apprenticeship before someone that scored let say an 89.

I hope receiving this letter during the interview doesn't mean I'd bombed it! Maybe I'm just looking into this too deeply. What are your thoughts? Is anyone ever heard of this? Thank you in advance for your replies! :)

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
You're allowed to ask questions during an interview. Why didn't you ask them how the process worked?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You're allowed to ask questions during an interview. Why didn't you ask them how the process worked?
I did ask them if I was going to receive a letter in the mail. That is when they handed me the letter I'm referring to.

·
:-)
3,670 Posts
Looks like they want you to gain some experience and come back in a year. If you are talking about a company then try another company. If you are talking about the union...

The union isn't the be all end all. Talk to the electrical contractors in your area that are not union and find a job and start your apprenticeship. Wait for no one.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts