Electrician Talk banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been coming to this site for about six months now ,, this is my first time i posted on here...
I just finished vocational training in nyc and have been looking for work. From craigslist to indeed i think i have been to all sites and still no luck. I went to tradesmen america website and got names addresses and numbers for alot of companies , either they are local 3 and hire through the union or looking for "experienced" electricians helpers. I even beat the streets visiting companies looking for work ...no luck !
I completed at the top of my class i have to know something im even willing to work a few weeks for free to prove my self ,,,someone please tell me what im doing wrong or what im not doing at all
Thanks much

·
Registered
467 Posts
Working for free is an admirable attempt to prove your commitment to learn but no sane employer is going to let someone who's not on their payroll onto their jobsite. That's a huge liability issue. If you get injured that's pretty much the brutal end of whatever company let you on that site.

I'd look for smaller businesses - 3 or 4 man operations where the owners "shop" is his garage. Google every contractor in your area and from there you can look on manta.com for the size of local businesses. I'd hit those smaller operations up as there's gotta be like 45 Million of them in NYC. Less visibility means fewer newbies will be hitting them up and odds are after a few weeks you're bound to find one or two whose last helper quit or is now doing time for drug possession.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Ive seen a few around. What im hearing almost everyday is " business is slow right now" smh frustrating
Well that is true for a lot of contractors during the winter. This weather isn't exactly great for building here in the North East. It'll start picking up when everyone gets their tax returns back though...

·
Registered
148 Posts
SparkGod147% said:
And asking electricians on the street they act like its a secret society
Move. Pack up and hit the road. Head to North Dakota and hit the oil fields. Get the necessary on the job training and skills. Get your resume built up and then try looking for work back in ny.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Best bet is to keep grinding but I will tell u now u probably won't find work until April,May and if I where u I would lie a lil about my experience make up some bull **** company's and say they went under there not gonna background check at All and try and steer clear of telling people ur out of trade school company's don't really like trade school guys cause they have no experience but tend to feel like they are more useful than they are. No offense but that's just my experience as a NYC electrician **** my company just laid off 50 guy of my site...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts