Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bet this would throw off anyone trying to figure out the fill of panel cabinet.

Opened an existing panel today to find 3/4 sealtight passing through the inside of the panel from the top to the bottom. The sealtight was labled "water heater", couldnt believe it. :laughing:

Attachments

·
Town Drunk
3,725 Posts
Is it just run through the KOs, top and bottom?

The funny thing is, that doesn't violate the fill %s.

Might violate a few other articles, though... :laughing:

·
stop pickin on Peter D...
775 Posts
Not a HORRIBLE-looking panel, otherwise...but, yeah, the sealtite pass-thru is a bit wierd.

No color identification on the main feeder conductors...

No Green identification on the EGC ...or is that a GEC ...???

The 3-pole breaker at the bottom appears to have the same color identification on 2 of its 3 conductors...

·
stop pickin on Peter D...
775 Posts
Oh, I'm an idiot (or maybe just tired)...I see the grounded conductor with the white tape on it. . . So what IS the smaller black conductor on that buss?

Funny, tape that grounded conductor that much, but not the mains.....

·
R.I.P. 2014
4,722 Posts
Oh, I'm an idiot (or maybe just tired)...I see the grounded conductor with the white tape on it. . . So what IS the smaller black conductor on that buss?

Funny, tape that grounded conductor that much, but not the mains.....
I would say offhand it's the neutral for the circuit powered by the three pole breaker on the lower right.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I forgot to mention this is a 277/480 panel and all the branch circuits are black, red, blue. There are three of these panels wired this way... scary. even the feeders are identified this way. Theyre phased just inside the conduit but you cant see this in the photo.

If you look at the breaker on the lower right youll notice that the "C" phase is taped orange. Thats about the only thing right about this install.

Some of the other panels are a mixture of the low and high voltage colors.

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
39,117 Posts
I forgot to mention this is a 277/480 panel and all the branch circuits are black, red, blue. There are three of these panels wired this way... scary. even the feeders are identified this way. Theyre phased just inside the conduit but you cant see this in the photo.
So?

If you look at the breaker on the lower right youll notice that the "C" phase is taped orange. Thats about the only thing right about this install.
Looks like both B & C are orange.

Some of the other panels are a mixture of the low and high voltage colors.
Again, is that a violation?

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No its not a violation, but im sure you understand why I mention it.

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
39,117 Posts
No its not a violation, but im sure you understand why I mention it.
I understand. But I will, on occasion, use Black, Red and Blue on 277 and 480 volt stuff. For specific reasons.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ive seen it used this way on some industrial jobs but never in your "typical" commercial job. So its foreign to me in this application.

I would think that it would pave the way for disaster? Sitting in a unmarked j box or something. The potential for "letting the smoke out" or getting hurt is increased.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Using a panelboard as a raceway - code violation. Unless someone is actually running hot water through that sealtight....then it's a plumbing violation. ;)

RSlater,
RSmike

·
conduit dude
331 Posts
sealtight is the race way, panel is not a support for the raceway. whats the min support on sealtight anyway, 36"?

·
Registered
3 Posts
The code only addresses the color coding of the grounding and grounded conductors right now, however color phasing will be a requirement soon by the NEC. You are correct, using a panel board for a raceway is a code violation.

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
39,117 Posts
The code only addresses the color coding of the grounding and grounded conductors right now, however color phasing will be a requirement soon by the NEC. You are correct, using a panel board for a raceway is a code violation.
For 50 years, there have been proposals made every code cycle to initiate certain color codes for certain voltage and phase configurations. Every cycle, the CMPs reply the same: It is a design issue. Other than white, grey, green and green with yellow stripes, there isn't much the Code has to say about what colors you use for ungrounded conductors. Unless you can provide some radically convincing evidence to the contrary, I doubt the NEC will make such a rule.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts