Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 121 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would it be profitable to run a one or two truck operation that just does service calls. No new construction?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We run a 18 "truck operation" and we don't do any new construction and we are very profitable.
That's awesome man. That's what I would like to eventually work up to. We have a lot of EC's around here but they are all busy fighting eachother for new construction jobs and aren't focusing on service calls. I would be one of very few.

·
Registered
11,635 Posts
It really depends a ton on your service area population. Flyboy has a huge service population. repeat customers are probably no so common. If you have any morals you will have a hard time running an operation like SE or Mister Sparky. The money is big for awhile but slepping at night can be tough.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It really depends a ton on your service area population. Flyboy has a huge service population. repeat customers are probably no so common. If you have any morals you will have a hard time running an operation like SE or Mister Sparky. The money is big for awhile but slepping at night can be tough.
Yea I live in between a small town where small family business are pretty big and I can rely on return customers and a large city that I can rely on new customers. Also have a few hookups with some businesses that I can do a lot of service work for. Father in law is a retired electrician and still gets a lot of calls for work.

·
Registered
11,635 Posts
I think you will be fine. I am just saying that unless there is a HUGE population you will not be able to do the "charge a premium and worry about the rest later" thing.
There is a huge difference between doing commercial service and doing resi service where you stick it to the customer for a one time charge.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think you will be fine. I am just saying that unless there is a HUGE population you will not be able to do the "charge a premium and worry about the rest later" thing.
There is a huge difference between doing commercial service and doing resi service where you stick it to the customer for a one time charge.
Yea I plan on doing both. I hope it works out for the best.

·
Registered
178 Posts
To make good money as a service only company takes lots of money to start out, takes lots of overhead (more money), lots of brains, ambition and lots of material stocked in the van just to sell a gfci to a customer. Imagine you drive 25 mins to a job with a full size van loaded of tools and material just to replace a customers defective GFCI receptacle, what do you charge to make money. Many will argue flat rate vs T&M, but that is not what I'm pointing out, what I'm pointing out is you sold a ten dollar item and now you better have enough money in your labour rate to cover the overhead and your labour. Have fun getting $200/hour or more with T&M or flat rate just to break even if your running one van. This is why most companies start in new construction not service, it's just financially easier.

·
THE "BIG RED MACHINE"
3,416 Posts
get your website setup ( and other marketing system you might use) answer your cell phone, and don't be afraid to charge a decent premium for your work. be thorough and don't be afraid to offer big-ticket repairs ( service changes, whole house device upgrades, multiple circuit upgrades installs etc) pick up your stock as you go along, again don't be afraid o offering your services ( in other words don't be afraid to be a salesman)

·
Small Potatoes
5,457 Posts
That's awesome man. That's what I would like to eventually work up to. We have a lot of EC's around here but they are all busy fighting eachother for new construction jobs and aren't focusing on service calls. I would be one of very few.
Find the niche and fill it...

Be where they ain't..

Be the best at it and deliver over the top service...

Hire the best people and take care of them...

Price for profit...

Or, build a kick butt new construction company and figure out how to make money in it. I don't know how, so I can't help you. I gave up 20 years ago trying, but there are companies out there doing it well and making money.

I'm just not that smart.

·
Small Potatoes
5,457 Posts
It really depends a ton on your service area population. Flyboy has a huge service population.
Not really, I live in the country.

repeat customers are probably no so common.
That's very true. Repeat customers only exist if you treat them right. If you do, they'll tell you why they keep coming back and why. It's the why part that keeps you focused on doing the things that will continue to get repeat customers.

If you have any morals you will have a hard time running an operation like SE or Mister Sparky. The money is big for awhile but slepping at night can be tough.
I know what a Mr. Sparky is, a franchise from the Clockwork Services parent company, but what's a SE? Service Experts?

One Hour Air and Benjamin Franklin plumbing (go figure) are also franchises with the same business model as Mr. Sparky.

I don't know enough about them to know why they aren't sleeping at night.

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
Respect ...repeat.....referal ....do the first one the others follow...I spend almost nothing. On adverting ....Brian..85/15 here...one guy 4 times this year and called me Tuesday for 2 lights:thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
One million years ago...while at U.B. my professor taught us the 90/10 rule of business...the oddity can be applied over and over...10% cause 90 % problems...10% are new customers ....90% of jobs run smooth ...ect

·
THE "BIG RED MACHINE"
3,416 Posts
if you need the experience working service go to work for one of the bigger service companies in the big city somewhere. see how they do their operations, and maybe start your own you will know what to do. take your business management Electrical courses at school

1 - 20 of 121 Posts