Electrician Talk banner

Keeping track of overtime

3K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  stiffneck 
#1 ·
I was handed the steward position. How do I go about keeping a overtime list, that’s fair to everyone?

#7 ·
Once the manpower on the job reaches a pre determined amount of JWs the Foreman is non working. As foreman are added to keep the ratio set in the agreement, they are all non working. That being said, they are never included in the overtime list. They work it out between themselves. Shop steward has no say in which Forman works, and they will not work with the tools until the job is back to a single foreman under so many men.

Apprentices are not included in the overtime list. Apprentices only work OT when the full crew is working or all JWs turned down the OT.

If you have guys making anything over JW rate, such as plan reader, they are not included in the OT list. So you have to weigh the options if there will be a lot of overtime, and decide if you want the extra pay to handle the specialty jobs. If the OT requires the specialty jobs, the workers are pulled from the regular OT list of JWs. The lead specialty workers can work the OT, but not with the tools, like they normally would on regular hours. Usually they are bumped to foreman rate for the OT, and the regular foreman would go home.

The steward keeps a list of all JWs, and keeps a running tally of total overtime worked for each. When overtime is offered, it is offered to the guy with the lowest hours. If he doesn’t take the overtime, the hours worked by the next guy that takes it, is added to all those that turned it down.

That’s how it would work where I’m at.

#8 ·
In another lifetime, I was in your position. The equalization of overtime was handled thusly. Overtime was usually requested on weekend - non-scheduled days. A masterlist of employees(by seniority)was kept. People offered OT by seniority and lowest # of hours. A person was charged for hours offered NOT worked. A person was charged double if they volunteered for the OT but didn't show up. Depending on how your union is set up, you may wish to keep subgroups by trade. Remember, your trying to be fair NOt trying to keep everyone happy...that ain't gonna happen anyways

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.