Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is this fitting required or is it an approved fitting when installing the grounding electrode in a panel !

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
The NEC does not require the use of that fitting or any other fitting. Many panels have a small 1/4" KO that is intended for the installation of the GEC.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Some jobs I've seen require them. It's listed and approved for the application unlike a NM connector.

But, yeah I agree an overrated wasted of money otherwise.

·
Registered
8,050 Posts
Locknutz said:
Some jobs I've seen require them. It's listed and approved for the application unlike a NM connector. But, yeah I agree an overrated wasted of money otherwise.
I don't remember the last GEC I did that would fit in one of those gay things

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Think about this. What if the connection to the electrode came un-done, you'd have an arc at the hole through the panel where the GEC passed through.
What if it doesn't?

What if the Earth fell out of orbit and we crashed into the sun?

I hate the phrase "what if". We can "what if" anything to death. If we built everything to handle every "what if" scenario nothing would ever get done, and if it did it would be so over built and expensive that no one could afford it.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
What if it doesn't?

I hate the phrase "what if". We can "what if" anything to death. If we built everything to handle every "what if" scenario nothing would ever get done, and if it did it would be so over built and expensive that no one could afford it.
I'm willing to bet you don't follow the code even when you have the means.

And anything is possible. I gave a nice scenario didn't I.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
What if it doesn't?

And if we crashed into the sun your panels would burn first.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts