Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 127 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We worked for a large company for many years then they hired a new facilities guy and it became kickback city. Wire a lab for 17k throw 5k on for me etc. He wanted cash too but all the checks had to be run through the business. If we didn't pay it was see ya later.

Opinions/Experience with the same situation.

·
Registered
15,056 Posts
Maximumbob said:
We worked for a large company for many years then they hired a new facilities guy and it became kickback city. Wire a lab for 17k throw 5k on for me etc. He wanted cash too but all the checks had to be run through the business. If we didn't pay it was see ya later.

Kickbacks are not within my integrity loop. My soul isn't for sale. I would tell them to find someone else.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Not myself but this is a regular thing in my area , they call it paying to play . And there are more players then you could imagine . I know a roofer who runs his business like that , last bid he won he paid the guy fielding the bids 5k cash for a 80k roof .

·
Premium Member
Licensed Electrical Contractor
11,794 Posts
You're not selling you're soul, you are selling work.

Paid referrals are part of life, there is absolutely nothing wrong with it other than what someone dreamed up in an attempt to legislate morality.
B-S!!!
Paid referrals are paid referrals. Kickbacks are extortion. :censored: WHY do you think they want cash only? F- them!

I expect nothing less from the metro NYC/NJ area. :rolleyes:

·
Banned
549 Posts
B-S!!!
Paid referrals are paid referrals. Kickbacks are extortion. :censored: WHY do you think they want cash only? F- them!

I expect nothing less from the metro NYC/NJ area. :rolleyes:
Come down! :laughing:

Cash only makes sense for many reasons.

There is nothing wrong with a kickback, it's the way the world works. As long as the government isn't involved, there is no extortion and no victim.

·
NJ-IEC
14,387 Posts

IMO, in Hudson County this is the only way to get work!

Teamsters run a building and they'll get you the work as long as you kick back to them. From my understanding and from what I've seen with my own eyes, this is how it's done. It's a whole nother world once you go over the Turnpike eastern extension into Bayonne, Jersey City, Hoboken, Weehawkin, etc.

·
Registered
12,167 Posts
If you're paying the decision maker, then it's pretty much considered ..... wrong.

If you are paying someone to bring the job to you, taking your proposal and getting it signed, then I would not have a problem paying for that service as long as I got what I wanted out of the job.

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
There once was a maintenance manager at a major hub of a HUGE shipping service with brown trucks. He was in charge of hiring contractors for repairs and construction projects on site. He had an arrangement that he would get his cut if the contractor wanted to be hired. As an example, say the job should be $20,000, contractor bids it for $21,000. When he gets paid for the job, maintenance manager gets his $1000 from the contractor. He and his contractor buddy face prison time. Basically, he was paying the maintenance supervisor to give him the work. He inflated the cost of the job in order to pay the money, thus, stealing from "big brown". If anybody expects to have to pay kickbacks to get the work, it is obvious they must inflate the cost of the job in order to pay the kickback. Otherwise it is coming right off the top of your profits. That is not going to happen. Why would you pay someone to give you work if you had to give him your profits? You decide what you want to do. I won't do it.

Here is the article:
http://www.durabilityanddesign.com/news/?fuseaction=view&id=9151

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
i dont believe in kickback either
or needing to kiss @$$
and i plainly let it be known:censored:
if they stick their @$$ out to me i will kick it up over their shoulders:laughing:

Reactions: Chris1971

·
Registered
7,984 Posts

How do you know this is true?

1 - 20 of 127 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.