Electrician Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently trying to become an apprentice in Killeen, Texas, but I'm not really sure how to go about it, and I have only a very basic understanding of electricity and algebra (I barely passed algebra in high school). I am also not sure whether I should join a union or not. Do I need to take some college courses first, or should I go in blind and learn on the job? Sorry for making so many questions, any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
Retired
16,961 Posts
You should learn high school algebra very well. Work on your presentation skills and apply at your local union hall IMO.
Good luck,

·
Registered
4,124 Posts
I am currently trying to become an apprentice in Killeen, Texas, but I'm not really sure how to go about it, and I have only a very basic understanding of electricity and algebra (I barely passed algebra in high school). I am also not sure whether I should join a union or not. Do I need to take some college courses first, or should I go in blind and learn on the job? Sorry for making so many questions, any help would be greatly appreciated.
Join the IBEW. It's worth it.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

·
Old Grumpy Bastard
GOV/MIL contracting
61,568 Posts
Welcome aboard @Tinalo!

If you have any chance at all join the union.

Look into some online learning to get basic algebra down.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you very much for your advice. Any specific area of math I should look into? I've also noticed that the IBEW doesn't have much of a presence in Killeen, so I'm not sure If I should move to Austin or maybe San Antonio.

·
Magic Smoke Remover
1,010 Posts
You guys use a lot of algebra? I'm mostly residential, the only algebra I do is:

H hours * P pay - $ lunch = profit!

·
Registered
4,124 Posts
Thank you very much for your advice. Any specific area of math I should look into? I've also noticed that the IBEW doesn't have much of a presence in Killeen, so I'm not sure If I should move to Austin or maybe San Antonio.
Talk to the Austin local. Killeen is likely within their jurisdiction.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts