Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
WWMDSD
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need 2-20 amp small appliance circuits, have a 10/3 not being used in small basement below no access to main panel.
Using this 10/3 rx and installing 2-12/2's from a junction to my kitchen recp's with the #10 wires marked in the main panel "20 amp only" with a 2 pole 20 breaker.

Legal or completely hack?

·
Registered
7,881 Posts
That's GOLD!

It's good wire that goes to/from where you need it so of course you can use it.

No need to mark it 20A only. Anyone who is qualified can figure out what is going on. If they're not qualified, your notation isn't going to help them.

That would work. You could also set a LARGE panel at the end of the 10/3 and get 40 circuits out of it.

·
WWMDSD
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Fan-friggintastic gents, thanks! Doing this job in the AM and this is going to make it boatloads easier.
One quote without "Sheetrock repair by others"

·
Registered
11,762 Posts
Over engineering never hurts. Alls well.

That's GOLD!

It's good wire that goes to/from where you need it so of course you can use it.

No need to mark it 20A only. Anyone who is qualified can figure out what is going on. If they're not qualified, your notation isn't going to help them.

I would still mark it only 20. On the cable jacket as well 6 inches before it goes into the panel. Even professionals can get it wrong during an emergency panel change.

·
Registered
12,410 Posts
Need 2-20 amp small appliance circuits, have a 10/3 not being used in small basement below no access to main panel.
Using this 10/3 rx and installing 2-12/2's from a junction to my kitchen recp's with the #10 wires marked in the main panel "20 amp only" with a 2 pole 20 breaker.

Legal or completely hack?
If it is marked as you say I would do it...but I don't have a code book.

·
Premium Member
Licensed Electrical Contractor
11,794 Posts
1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.