Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
felonious smile.
15,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a question . Does it need to be gfci protected like bathrooms. If so can it get tagged off the counter outlets

·
Banned
I make all the electrons line up for their Flu shots
33,456 Posts
GFI requirements do not mention toe kick heaters. Why would you think that they would need to be gfi? Even a receptacle outlet down in a toe kick in the kitchen does not need to be gfi protected unless it is a kitchen in a "not" a dwelling.

·
felonious smile.
15,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
GFI requirements do not mention toe kick heaters. Why would you think that they would need to be gfi? Even a receptacle outlet down in a toe kick in the kitchen does not need to be gfi protected unless it is a kitchen in a "not" a dwelling.
It was directly under the sink base. I thought about leaky plumbing soaking it and the floor in front of it. So I tagged it off the counter circuit.

·
Bababoee
9,187 Posts
I just installed two and I ran a dedicated line for them . I would never tap off the kit recept... if its a 120 v unit it probably draws 6 amps at the least.... I would be pissed if I was that customer and my toaster is suddenly tripping on sunday morning...

·
Administrator
Retired EC
23,717 Posts
The heater cannot be on the small appliance branch circuit. It is that simple. A kick space heater is a direct wired piece of equipment.

Reactions: sbrn33

·
Registered
364 Posts
Counter SA circuits can have clock outlets and chit that powers igniters/clocks for counter mounted stuff. That's about it. 210.52(B)(2)

·
Thumper
714 Posts
What is the brand and model number of the heater? Some can be run on 220.
What about the dishwasher/fridge/disposal circuits?
If it has an optional cordest or internal protection/thermestat bay you may have more options, depending on draw; most of the ones I do are hydronic.

·
Registered
12,634 Posts
Shockdoc said:
It was directly under the sink base. I thought about leaky plumbing soaking it and the floor in front of it. So I tagged it off the counter circuit.
Never put the toe kick heater in the sink base. You end up burning up the misses toes. It's the one location where you must stand for long periods in place and becomes quite uncomfortable. I've had to clip elements in them to lower the heat output so the women(HO) could wash dishes.

·
Banned
I make all the electrons line up for their Flu shots
33,456 Posts
Lets all see if you can guess the one member here who has not hooked up a heater ever, even though I used to live in that extremely cold place otherwise known as Florida. I didn't even know they had "toe kick" heaters. That's kinda neat. I do know they got butt hole warmers built into toilet seats in Japan. Some of them play a tune for you also.

Reactions: Next72969
1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.