Registered
Commercial Field Service for Tesla Journeyman
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
Power distribution and controls
171 Posts
Not bad, still need to be wearing PPE and gloves.
I do not worry about insulated tools. Most of what I do is de energized. I trouble shoot hot but the repairs are always done dead.

·
Super Moderator
Elechicken!
3,553 Posts
Not bad, still need to be wearing PPE and gloves.
I do not worry about insulated tools. Most of what I do is de energized. I trouble shoot hot but the repairs are always done dead.
Insulated tools are good for the occasional time where you need to add a bolt on breaker and can't shut down the panel without 5 weeks notice and doing it at 3am on a saturday...

I agree though, troubleshooting is to be done live, and repairs are to be done cold. Exceptions are far and few inbetween. If you NEED tools to work hot, You'll have an entire collection so you have the right ones you need, and have an arc flash suit of the right rating, and likely won't be buying tools from amazon, but rather thru a supply house.

·
Old Grumpy Bastard
GOV/MIL contracting
61,464 Posts
It's a nice set. But troubleshooting is all the work I commonly do live for decades now so insulated lineman's are something I haven't needed. Basically insulated screwdrivers are all the insulated tools I carry with me.

Work smarter, never rush......no need to be the fastest guy in the cemetery.

·
Registered
Commercial Field Service for Tesla Journeyman
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I agree with that just putting it out there. My company supplies all tools and PPE however some guys not so lucky. That set is a basic set that would get you by most situations. For example if trouble shooting in a junction box that is live and you undo a splice gloves or no gloves insulated pliers are required now. You can no longer use unisulated tools on live circuits.

·
Registered
Electrical contractor 37 years. Electrical inspector 2 years
1,093 Posts
I just wrap 5 layers of tape on my screwdriver when I need it.

I remember reading on a set of HV insulated tools, " not to be used on live circuits".???

·
Old Grumpy Bastard
GOV/MIL contracting
61,464 Posts
I agree with that just putting it out there. My company supplies all tools and PPE however some guys not so lucky. That set is a basic set that would get you by most situations. For example if trouble shooting in a junction box that is live and you undo a splice gloves or no gloves insulated pliers are required now. You can no longer use unisulated tools on live circuits.
If you undo a splice, shut the power off and redo the splice.

What possible reason is there to do it live?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts