Electrician Talk banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Commercial Field Service for Tesla Journeyman
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting very fed up with Klein screw drivers lately. It seems it started when the grips changed from the harder smooth rubber to the softer rubber. I will admit I can be a little rough on my tools, but I had a 600-8 square shank and 6 inch version both recently break in the plastic when they fell from my tool bag. I have never had that happen in the past and I have used those same models to pry manholes. Has anyone else had these problems?

·
RIP 1959-2015
39,618 Posts
I am getting very fed up with Klein screw drivers lately. It seems it started when the grips changed from the harder smooth rubber to the softer rubber. I will admit I can be a little rough on my tools, but I had a 600-8 square shank and 6 inch version both recently break in the plastic when they fell from my tool bag. I have never had that happen in the past and I have used those same models to pry manholes. Has anyone else had these problems?

Nope not me,maybe you got a bad batch of them.

·
Registered
Contractor
674 Posts
I actually broke the tips on both of those recently. Wasnt using them as a chisel or anything, just trying to unscrew a rusted panel cover screw. :laughing:

·
IBEW L.U. 1852
5,261 Posts
We must be getting different Klein tools here in Canada.
I never have any problems with my Klein gear and will continue to buy them.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
I honestly think there must be a difference between the klein stuff Home Depot sells and the klein stuff supply shops sell.
I find it hard to believe that it would be worth building a whole other manufacturing line just for Home Depot sold tools and have another for supply houses....it would seem that HD is about 60 percent of Klein's market now. Most supply houses gave up on hand tools. They don't stock them on the shelves here often. I think they just cut down the quality overall because of the big box stores, and Klein isn't the only manufacturer doing this.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I honestly think there must be a difference between the klein stuff Home Depot sells and the klein stuff supply shops sell.
I do not purchase any Klein tools from Home Depot soley for the fact that they WILL NOT assist in warranty claims. I will upload pics later but it wasn't the tips. It broke on both models right after the grip starts. I have used them before like demolition multi tools without any issue. If the SOB that caused me to re purchase them wants to give me my old ones back with crappy tips PLEASE. The 600-8 was purchased in September hit the floor on a cold day picked it up and sure enough it was broke. Im not sure if they changed something with the advent of the Demo line but I will not use those because have already seen guys lit up in panels forgetting metal end.

·
Banned
7,221 Posts
I find it hard to believe that it would be worth building a whole other manufacturing line just for Home Depot sold tools and have another for supply houses..
Many other companies have made inferior lines of their products to sell cheaper in different stores. It's a pretty standard business practice for big companies to increase revenue and market share.

They wouldn't need to build a new factory or anything, but they would do production runs of tools made with a cheaper, inferior steel for example. Run the machine for 26 weeks pumping out cheaper Home Depot versions, and then run the machine for 26 weeks with higher quality materials to produce the professional version of the same tool, they can sell for more money to professionals.

If you can't get the market to buy your product at the cost it takes to make it, just make a cheaper product to sell to that market.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Many other companies have made inferior lines of their products to sell cheaper in different stores. It's a pretty standard business practice for big companies to increase revenue and market share.

They wouldn't need to build a new factory or anything, but they would do production runs of tools made with a cheaper, inferior steel for example. Run the machine for 26 weeks pumping out cheaper Home Depot versions, and then run the machine for 26 weeks with higher quality materials to produce the professional version of the same tool, they can sell for more money to professionals.

If you can't get the market to buy your product at the cost it takes to make it, just make a cheaper product to sell to that market.
You have a good point...but like I said, when I go into supply houses here most do not have very many handtools on the shelves. Most tradesmen buy handtools from a display rack that is in front of them, which used to be at a supplier. And now, most professionals are buying their tools at HD because of convenience, myself included. By the time I am done work the suppliers are closed.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I kinda am forced to stick witht the supply houses since I tend to stick to a certain model once I find whatever it is I really like for instance the HD 2000 series red handled Linemans I can barely get them at the tool dealer I frequent Depot only sells them online. I do not like the round shanked 4,6,8 inch slotted so once again good old supply house.To add to the "Box store model" aspect from my experience in car audio and music it tends to be morte of a seconds type thing. Someone mentioned lower quality steel batches you are correct its stuff like that where it doesn't meet the strict QA lines but not totally trash Good Eniuff for Joe blow plus still better than the CE brand

1 - 12 of 12 Posts