Electrician Talk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Local 3 IBEW Tool House - Supply
757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a notification of a new product from my Klein Tools rep. Being a supplier, I don't get to use what I sell very often. I've only used hand benders for personal projects a handful of times. I thought this was a pretty cool innovation for something that hasn't really changed in forever. I was just wondering what the pros think of it.
3/4-Inch Angle Setter™ - 51612 | Klein Tools - For Professionals since 1857

·
Registered
Power distribution and controls
546 Posts
As much as it looks like a good idea, plastic is never going to hold up on a wet and dirty job-site.

Just another toy to spend money on and lose. I will not be buying one.

I do appreciate you posting and showing new equipment. Thanks

·
Registered
66 Posts
I just can’t really see it. Little pieces like that normally get lost in short order.

If you don’t know how to use a bender, you can still mess it up. If you’re good with a bender, you don’t need it. Not sure where to fit it. Maybe it could make your work just a tad nicer and more accurate? Just doesn’t seem worth it.

I tell my apprentices that every bender has a personality, and when they know it’s personality, they will have mastered using it.

·
Registered
8,428 Posts
I thought this was a pretty cool innovation for something that hasn't really changed in forever. I was just wondering what the pros think of it.
It sucks. It's a boutique novelty item that any skilled tradesman would know is, in the long run, detrimental to the development of an apprentice's skillset and totally unnecessary once that skillset is developed when used as intended.

·
Registered
36th year apprentice & Floor Sweeper
1,406 Posts
If it increases repeatability and productivity, I would get some for the job. Since it’s plastic it will last until it gets lost.

The only drawback might be that it needs the notches in the shoe that only the Klein benders have? My employer has hundreds of benders and hickies, probably not one Klein?

There are so many benders and accessories on the market, all designed to increase accuracy and productivity. This is no different. I can’t imagine teaching a kid how to bend conduit with a tree. “We don’t need all these fancy benders dumbing down the trade”. “Any monkey can bend conduit with a bender. It takes skill to segment bend with a tree”.

·
Hackenschmidt
11,465 Posts
I think it's a very good idea. Anyone saying this wouldn't speed up their work and make it more consistent is full of it. It's like the guys that think a rotosplit is a waste since a hacksaw works if you are skilled.

Realistically they'd have to be cheap enough to keep a few spares around because they will be lost constantly. If the designers were smart, there's a spot you could snap it into the bender to store when not in use. And if they're really smart, a spot for a spare :)

The Rack-A-Tiers Hoppy Bender's mechanism serves the same purpose, but you can set it at any angle, it can't get lost, and it looks reasonably durable.

I use a speedset for the same purpose, it works pretty well, but this actually looks like it would work better. But you can clamp the speedset on in pretty much any spot, and it's also a nodog.

·
Registered
Electrician
228 Posts
I think it's a very good idea. Anyone saying this wouldn't speed up their work and make it more consistent is full of it. It's like the guys that think a rotosplit is a waste since a hacksaw works if you are skilled.

Realistically they'd have to be cheap enough to keep a few spares around because they will be lost constantly. If the designers were smart, there's a spot you could snap it into the bender to store when not in use. And if they're really smart, a spot for a spare :)

The Rack-A-Tiers Hoppy Bender's mechanism serves the same purpose, but you can set it at any angle, it can't get lost, and it looks reasonably durable.

I use a speedset for the same purpose, it works pretty well, but this actually looks like it would work better. But you can clamp the speedset on in pretty much any spot, and it's also a nodog.
How are the levels on your speedset? I ordered one of those last year, was so excited to get it but then let down when I found out one of the vials was out of level. Haven't used it much since.

·
Estwing magic
25,836 Posts
After 100 years of trying, Klown doesn’t even know how to make a decent tape measure. Why should I trust them with a plastic pipe bending thingy?

·
Gold Pliers Champion
2,704 Posts
So it seems to be a guide or stop for what the bender is already marked for.

Not a terrible idea, but i can see it losing it's accuracy with wear and tear.

All my hand benders are Greenlee, and like most guys I can pick up any bender and get the job done, but I can do it faster and better with my own.
As others stated , skills before gadgets, knowing your stuff.

·
Registered
Local 3 IBEW Tool House - Supply
757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I see both sides. I can definitely see it speeding up repeat bends, especially for someone with less experience. Only time will tell how they hold up, being plastic. @99cents , we all know how you feel about Klein, lol
@splatz , there is a place to store it on the underside of the arch, but probably only one, not a spare.

·
Hackenschmidt
11,465 Posts
How are the levels on your speedset? I ordered one of those last year, was so excited to get it but then let down when I found out one of the vials was out of level. Haven't used it much since.
I use it much more on the bender than on the conduit and I'd never use it where a regular torpedo level will do. I agree the vials are not great, and to tell the truth the magnets could be better. I think they are adequate for hand bending because there's enough slop in the process that the little bit those levels are off is not going to matter to me. If you think about it a no-dog is really a dead on precision tool because it's only accurate if the plane of the conduit and bender handle are dead plumb. But you're eyeballing when hand bending so it's not going to be dead plumb.

The speedset used to be made by Maxis in the USA, now Southwire bought them and they are made in Taiwan, I think the original Maxis may have been better. The price isn't cheap for what it is, an actual no-dog brand with one vial is $15 and made in USA. https://ww.no-dog.com

·
Registered
Electrician
1,633 Posts
I
I had the same issue. Depending which flat I set the level on it would read different. I hear the quality went way down when southwire bought out the original manufacturer of that level.

EDIT: I just realized Splatz mentioned the buy out already.

·
Registered
Electrician
228 Posts
I use it much more on the bender than on the conduit and I'd never use it where a regular torpedo level will do. I agree the vials are not great, and to tell the truth the magnets could be better. I think they are adequate for hand bending because there's enough slop in the process that the little bit those levels are off is not going to matter to me. If you think about it a no-dog is really a dead on precision tool because it's only accurate if the plane of the conduit and bender handle are dead plumb. But you're eyeballing when hand bending so it's not going to be dead plumb.

The speedset used to be made by Maxis in the USA, now Southwire bought them and they are made in Taiwan, I think the original Maxis may have been better. The price isn't cheap for what it is, an actual no-dog brand with one vial is $15 and made in USA. https://ww.no-dog.com
Thanks, I might have to buy one of those single vial no-dogs. That’s the only reason I really bought the speed set for, but once I figured how off the level was I lost respect for it. I could see myself using it while I was running EMT, then go to mount a box and use the level out of convenience, so I left it in the garage. I thought about just busting out the wayward vial just to eliminate the temptation but never got around to actually doing it.

·
Registered
Electrician
228 Posts
I had the same issue. Depending which flat I set the level on it would read different. I hear the quality went way down when southwire bought out the original manufacturer of that level.

EDIT: I just realized Splatz mentioned the buy out already.
I looked on eBay to see if I could find an old red Maxis one but nothing.

·
Registered
Industrial Mostly, Panels and drives
31 Posts

View attachment 156434

View attachment 156433
I bought a rackatiers bender hoping to use that more, for whatever reason I find their bender heads to be pretty awful. It kinks the pipe(emt) where my greenlee doesn't. And I don't find the stop to be overly useful...It really doesn't seem to take much to know it off even a little bit.

That being said my conduit game is weak, not a steady part of my job usually

1 - 17 of 17 Posts