Electrician Talk banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Junior Mint
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since Klein corporate reads through this forum, I thought this would be a good place to post all complaints/suggestions.

·
13,020 Posts
The stupid allen screw thing on my strippers always binds up after a while.

And my flat screwdriver is useless as a concrete chisel; it just breaks.

·
Registered
572 Posts
When Klien changed from the old style stripper lock to the new POS lock, I changed to Ideal strippers. Glad threy changed, cause the Ideals are much better IMO.

·
Registered
572 Posts
The Ideal "ramp" style lock is handy as heck. I use them like smallvisegrips to hold screws and such. And when back-twisting stranded thhn for recpt screws instead of switching to linesmans. Just squeeze the wire, set the lock, and spin. Saves a bunch of time.

·
Junior Mint
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You're wasting your time, Klein doesn't care about the customers. One of their rep's has been on this site, but didn't answer any questions asked of him about their decline in quality. This is a waste of time.
Still might be a good resource for people like me. All my tools are Klein. I got them when i first entered the trade. I have had no problems with the originals i have. However the tools i've had to replace have had some issues. (the new rubber handles seam to wear down fast) From reading through a bunch of these threads i've learned that if I lose my #2 square, don't buy another Klein one. Also I hadn't heard anything about Knipex until i started reading this site. Just thought this thread might help some people.

·
Donuts > Fried Eggs
17,042 Posts
Yeah, Klein screwdrivers might as well be Dollar Store, the only problem is they cost a heck of a lot more. It's stupid: Good tradesman will pay good money for good tools. By cheapening it up to appeal to the mass market, they're actually losing a loyal customer base. Maybe short term profits make that worthwhile to then.

I like Klein-Kurve strippers a lot more than Ideal T-strippers: They're more comfortable, and the larger size fits my hand a lot better. But get rid of that stupid spring and lock. The very first thing I do when I buy a pair is pull of the spring, and use my linemans to break off that lock.

-John

·
Junior Mint
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Just go to another brand if you don't like them anymore.
Still like the Klein stuff I have. Had no idea the quality had gone down so much. If i hadn't stumbled across this site i would have bought Klein replacements in the event of loss/damage. Now I know to try some new brands. Sounds like Knipex makes quality stuff. I just thought they were an off brand Lowes started carrying when Klein went Home Depot exclusive.

·
Junior Mint
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah, Klein screwdrivers might as well be Dollar Store, the only problem is they cost a heck of a lot more. It's stupid: Good tradesman will pay good money for good tools. By cheapening it up to appeal to the mass market, they're actually losing a loyal customer base. Maybe short term profits make that worthwhile to then.

I like Klein-Kurve strippers a lot more than Ideal T-strippers: They're more comfortable, and the larger size fits my hand a lot better. But get rid of that stupid spring and lock. The very first thing I do when I buy a pair is pull of the spring, and use my linemans to break off that lock.

-John
Everyone who uses my strippers says the same thing. I guess I just got use to the lock and spring.

·
Premium Member
20,983 Posts
I seem to recall a report of a spring in some brand of strippers popping out and into a hot panel while the person was doing some work. That was a good number of years ago, and I don't recall the brand. Could be urban legend too.

·
Junior Mint
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I seem to recall a report of a spring in some brand of strippers popping out and into a hot panel while the person was doing some work. That was a good number of years ago, and I don't recall the brand. Could be urban legend too.
Sounds possible. I've had mine pop out a time or two.

·
Premium Member
20,983 Posts
I think I'm going to close this thread in the interest of protecting this site's owner. While posting your experience with a certain tool or brand is certainly not off limits, I'm not really sure that having a thread that just generally invites criticism of a certain brand that has already been well-punished in the forums is an especially good idea. The dogpile on Klein has been plenty heavy enough in the past.

If you have some particular tool experiences you'd like to relate, feel free to start a thread and talk about that. For now, however, this thread is closed.

Reactions: Josue
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.