Electrician Talk banner

Klein Tool needed improvements.

9K views 56 replies 19 participants last post by  Smid 
#1 ·
I wouldn't buy meters or circuit finders from Klein but found most of their hand tools acceptable. Screwdrivers I mainly use: flat heads and Robinson's, I've had no issues with. The linemans, *****, cable cutters and needle nose have done me no wrong also. My Allen keys and conduit reamer I've had for 20 years. I see many gimmick tools they spit out (they're hybrid linemans can't cut trim screws short enough for back splashes) and their romex jacket stripping, strippers I've had have been terrible. I've also noticed there zipper bags are pathetic and don't zip without catching. Why and what tools specifically should professionals stay away from?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

#2 ·
The tips on their screwdrivers do not last at all anymore. I understand that when I abuse my flat blade that is my own fault, but my phillips bit wears out just as quick. I have several that have the tips torqued out and deflected, and they are used but not abused. My comparison is the tips in the past were used more than I do now and they lasted longer.

I have had the finish on the nut drivers chipping off, linesman pliers where the cutting edge goes too quickly, fish tapes where the head comes off (non-conductive ones), 11-1's that have bits almost falling out after a couple months of use.....

I still like their linesmans and *****, but I think I am done with the rest.

Reactions: zac
#12 ·
The tips on their screwdrivers do not last at all anymore. I understand that when I abuse my flat blade that is my own fault, but my phillips bit wears out just as quick. I have several that have the tips torqued out and deflected, and they are used but not abused. My comparison is the tips in the past were used more than I do now and they lasted longer.

I have had the finish on the nut drivers chipping off, linesman pliers where the cutting edge goes too quickly, fish tapes where the head comes off (non-conductive ones), 11-1's that have bits almost falling out after a couple months of use.....

I still like their linesmans and *****, but I think I am done with the rest.

All those issues should be handled under their warranty and replaced, period the end.

Worn out cutting edges aren't warrantied.

#5 ·
You need to go to sleep Hack's it's 11 over there! My problem with the klein romex jacket strippers is that they double clutch when stripping. Maybe I'm cutting to much wire (I usually cut the whole romex) but have never had this problem with the ideals. This thread also isn't about what's better but what's wrong with Klein. This doesn't mean better alternatives aren't welcomed.

#6 ·
I have a couple of old (15 to 20 year old) Klein Robertson head (square #2) drivers that are still square and a screw will still stay on them. I bought a new one that lasted less than a week, returned it assuming it was a dud but the new one stripped as well. Have never bought another Klein tool since.

#10 ·
A few years ago I bought the Klein long shank nut driver set. I have no idea why. Probably a cross beteeen jealousy and tool whore. I knew when I bought them I would never use them. I never use the regular length ones. I don’t carry any nut drivers in my daily carry

I’ll stick up for Klein. My nut drivers are in perfect shape.

#13 ·
Only issues I have ever had with Klein is the screwdriver tips being softer than they used to be and had them replaced under warranty.

I think I had given them 6 or 7 #2 phillips to swap out.

Reactions: zac
#19 ·
I have no issues with Klein's pliers and cutters etc. But their screwdrivers suck now. The tips wear out fast and they snap off very easily. I've been using a Greenlee 10-in-one that's nice, a good hefty handle and hasn't worn too much after a lot of use.

I suspect that they focus more on their lineman equipment. Some of the stuff I have like haven grips, chicago grips, nut-runners, lineman wrenches, are top notch, and nobody else really makes that stuff.

#21 ·
Klein should number one first and foremost get out of the business of putting their name on garbage test and measurement tools, all the garbage meters and etc., Mathias Klein is rolling over in his grave over the recalls.

Instead of trying to race to the bottom with the rest of the crapmakers, they should take the high road and see how many people will pay for quality basic tools. Put their name on things worthy of the Klein name.

Klein should buy Knopp and promote a high quality, union made in the USA solenoid tester. They could sell a million of these a year.

Likewise they should buy Santronics, a high quality made in USA non contact voltage tester.

#22 ·
I like that Klein is innovating. It's OK if some of these fall flat, not every new tool is going to be a home run.

I liked the needle nose strippers, I know a lot of people did not. The linemans with stripping notches looks interesting. The heavy duty strippers are cool. The multi nut driver, well, they should have asked me about that one before they tried it. I could have told them what they really wanted to do there.

#23 ·
They are now competing with China owned Milwaukee. It's terrible how many guys think the tools and the company are made in the US. I scoffed when they first came out with hand tools but they are definitely taking a large share of the hand tool market. I'd say most of the guys I work with use Milwaukee pliers and screwdrivers.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

#36 ·
Klein’s job is to make money. They have no duty to provide the world with quality tools. They have a duty to their investors to make a profit. Those two things I just said often don’t coincide.

Are they making money?
Are they making more money than they used to when they sold quality tools?
Are they making more money now than they would haveif they didn’t cheapen their products and sell meters and other rebranded crap?

Only a very tiny percentage of electrician and other tradesmen take part in groups like this forum. I think it’s safe to say that the overwhelming majority of electrician still believe that Klein are the best tools.

#37 ·
The idea to become a BRAND rather than a MANUFACTURER probably hinges on their deal with Home Depot. If Home Depot gets sick of them, they are ****ed. They might find out it was better to be a smaller company making quality tools for people that know the difference, rather than a bigger company that folded up when they figured out they can't out-Chinese the Chinese.

#57 ·
I bought that monstrosity thinking it would be good for my veto tp3b pouch but man what a turd that thing is. Good theory, horrible execution. I’d replace my Klein long shaft nut drivers if I could find similar length magnetic ones. The magnets have broken in my 7/16, 5/16 and 3/8

#47 ·
When I started in the trade back when Carter was potus Klein was what you used . Years go by and all my tools get stolen . So I go with all new klein . Well that was the end for me . I do not think they make good tools . The metal seems soft and the quality for the money is not there . Klown is a stupid joke anymore . What they were is not what they are . I own a tripple tap , long shank magnetic nut drivers , and thats it . Be Mr raw raw murica guy it is sad that I will not buy anymore tools from them .

Hey Klein make good tools and I will buy them until then no love lost .

#51 · (Edited)
Don't have any issues with Klein tools other than their number 2 Phillip's but that is true with basically every brand because that tip doesn't fit most most screws for electrical components.

I have been using this style of #2 phillips for years and its better than any Philips bit on the market and its not even close for screws most electricians use
Mine aren't Klein, I believe they are Dewalt…...not sure I bought a bag of like ten maybe 15 years ago and they simply do not wear out like standard #2 Philips bits
Buy this style for phillips bits for electrical.....note that it has no pointed tip to wear out and it fits our stuff better because of it
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Klein-T...wer-Insert-Driver-Bit-5-Piece-PH215/205504326

#54 ·
That's a pretty broad statement.
I have had no issues with their Allen keys, nut drivers, crescent wrenches etc.
It seems to me the gimmicky stuff along with the meters are the issue. Maybe too the metal is not as good as before but I haven't noticed a decline in my *****, linemans and needle nose.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.