Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seriously getting fed up with Klein. I've been buying the same dikes since I was an apprentice. The last year or so it seems they constantly break. I understand I like to blow holes in them but I swear the last 5 pairs I had snap at the tip within the first few days using them. I'm at a rate of a new pAir a month. I sent this pic to Klein on Instagram and they promptly told me to call and they would take care of me. I called and all they did was tell me to take them to Home Depot and swap them out. Of course Home Depot gave me a hard time and the new pair chipped the first freakin day. I would think after loyally buying the same dikes for 12 years would have gotten me a little better hook up then replace them at Home Depot or pay for shipping and send back to Klein. Sorry for the long post. Hoping Klein sees this and tries to win me back before going knipex. End rant

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
wendon said:
Try the Journeymen's version. Leave those for the homeowners.
Your thinking of the red handled ones. I can't stand the handles on the journeymans, they are huge and the grips get loose. Thin blues fit in the back pocket amazingly

·
Registered
158 Posts
That being said I'd like to try the NWS Fantastico.[/QUOTE]

I am thoroughly satisfied with the NWS fantastico..they require much less effort and are made very well. The grips are similar to Klein's journeyman and Knipex comfort grip though slightly slimmer. I've been using them for about a year now with no problems. The only issue I've had is due to the design the jaws don't open quite as wide as standard dikes. A larger pair 10 inch or so would be ideal.

·
Registered
374 Posts
If NWS made a pair of diagonals with the angled head I'd have bought a pair. I recently tossed my Kleins and picked up a pair of Knipex with the angled head.

Can't go wrong with Knipex but The NWS are sexy.

·
Registered
3 Posts
klein tool going down hill

just watched video(Tradesman TV: Testimonial – MM500 Auto Ranging Multimeter about 18 seconds into video) on Klein web site romex feeding box being checked has an emt set screw connector and not a proper romex connector. they could show that they care about the basic things that many of us would notice.very poor production and I lost all interest in there product

·
Registered
317 Posts
I had the handle and shaft of a newish Klein flathead round shank screwdriver seperate on me at work the other day. I remember looking to make sure it was hecho in USA before I bought it. I did not abuse it, I already have a beating driver. I was able to slide it back together and continue to use it. My first thought, what a piece of crap. My second thought, I should find an apprentice to give this to.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Get Knipex and toss those out. That will be the end of the story.

That being said I'd like to try the NWS Fantastico.
Got em, love em. The guys always want to borrow them. Like stated above, I do wish that they opened a little wider, even still I'm not swapping them out for any pair of the knipex or klein that I have as a backup, unless needed until a replacement arrives.

·
Senile Member
I make all the electrons line up for their Flu shots
35,143 Posts
Robinson, in that picture there is clearly a burn spot on the left side cutter right at the same point in the blade as the broken right side. Did you cut something that blew the tip off your brand new Klien pliars? Were you cutting case hardened steel? Surely that left side half moon is not from a piece of copper wire?

·
Premium Member
20,981 Posts
They make yellow,blue, dark blue and red handles because they are all different hardnesses.
I have not heard that before. If that's true (I have no reason to doubt you), the manufacturer needs to do a much better job of giving the tradesman the information he needs to properly select the tool.

That said, it should stand to reason that if the OP has used the same pair successfully in the past (until he blows them up), and has only recently had trouble with breaking the tips off... something changed.

·
RIP 1959-2015
39,618 Posts
I have not heard that before. If that's true (I have no reason to doubt you), the manufacturer needs to do a much better job of giving the tradesman the information he needs to properly select the tool.

That said, it should stand to reason that if the OP has used the same pair successfully in the past (until he blows them up), and has only recently had trouble with breaking the tips off... something changed.
277 instead of 120:laughing:

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yeah I blew the hole in them probably a week prior to them snapping while cutting jack chain. My complaint is that it is happening on all the pairs I buy. Usually not as big but enough to annoy you. Like stated I've never had a problem with the same dikes for the last 10 years it's just with all the resent ones.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Yeah I blew the hole in them probably a week prior to them snapping while cutting jack chain. My complaint is that it is happening on all the pairs I buy. Usually not as big but enough to annoy you. Like stated I've never had a problem with the same dikes for the last 10 years it's just with all the resent ones.
I agree Klein's quality is not at all what it used to be....but you may have weakened the steel when you blew a hole in them.

That being said, I have had a few Klein ***** over the years that I had blown holes in and they became beater pliers which I abused endlessly. ..never had them snap like that! I won't buy anymore Klein tools, personally I prefer Knipex.

Channellock aren't as good as they once were either, but I use the 369's because they go on sale all the time and can be had for under 20 bucks...which is a fair price for the quality.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.