Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gents, I know these pliers were brought up in another thread some time back. I believe they were limited to Klein selected testers at the time. I was over at Klein's site last night and noticed they were front and center of new products. Really not my cup o' tea but may be interesting to those who like such things.

http://www.kleintools.com/catalog/all-purpose-pliers/all-purpose-pliers

·
Donuts > Fried Eggs
17,042 Posts
I hope the teeth are better then the last pair of klien needles I got. I already wore the teeth off.
Really the only Klein tools I own anymore are their linemans and strippers. Never had a problem with either, and have never found a company that I thought made better linemans.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Copy Knipex seems to be Klein's new MO. "We can't fix our quality but we sure can copy from others" :no:

I have to admit when I saw these pliers the first thing that came to mind was Knipex's new Installation Pliers. To be honest I am not fond of these 5 and 6 in 1 tools. Including screwdrivers. I find they dont do any one task all that well. I will also admit the Klein tool looks to be much better balanced. I use long nose pliers for specific tasks. Bending loops and setting wires on terminals. It does not usually come to mind to attempt to strip wire with them but if the pliers did it naturally and comfortably then who knows? I also tend to use short jaw/long handled pliers like Klein D314-8 or lately Knipex 28 21 200. No cutters makes small wire control very easy.

In any event with the reach of the Internet Klein no longer has the electrical and telecommunication tool market in the States all to themselves. If I were them I think I would concentrate on QC and then worry about copying the latest fad tool. On the other hand, at least they are paying attention to the market.

·
Donuts > Fried Eggs
17,042 Posts
The knipex combination pliers took a chunk if my palm out when I was trying to remove a 3/4 KO in a 4 square. They should all be destroyed
If I had to get rid of every tool I'd ever hurt myself with, I think I'd be left with a single Sharpie marker. And not the ones with the fine writing point, either.

·
Registered
14,592 Posts
Really the only Klein tools I own anymore are their linemans and strippers. Never had a problem with either, and have never found a company that I thought made better linemans.
Sta-kon crimpers here. When they manage to botch those I guess I'll go with Ideals.

My current pair of J2000 ***** will probably be the last the joint is going loose way to fast, too bad too cause I like the pointer tips on them.

·
Donuts > Fried Eggs
17,042 Posts
Sta-kon crimpers here.
I forgot about those. Those are Klein, too, but nowdays I use ratcheting crimpers for most stuff.

For linemans I tried Ideal, Knipex, and Channellock, and always came back to Klein.

But because I'm a Knipex Fanboy, in their defense I was using the ones with the square handles, which I hate on any pliers. Maybe their rounded handles are good.

·
Apprentice
102 Posts
I don't see what's with all the haterade that everybody is drinking. I get the copy thing, but I don't see it as a gimmick. Milwaukee made one and I bought it to replace my needle nose and strippers, but since it's cutting and striping power was crap I had to go back to carrying both.

It's a good idea, they just need to get it right: smooth cutting and quality construction.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.