Electrician Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's the best thing going for repairing damaged insulation on a direct buried 500 kcmil XLPE AL conductor.

I'm heading out tomorrow to look at it so all I have to go on is the GC's word for now. Typically if the conductor has been damaged I'll use a 3M cold shrink splice kit over a compression butt splice.

Do they make any kit that fits over a cable without cutting it. Obviously i can use rubber and tape. But I like using kits for repairs not caused by me.

· Registered
881 Posts
The Scotchcast works great if you can get some room to work, get it clean and sealed. If you don't take your time in getting it sealed the resin can run out of the mold and you'll have to start over with a new kit. (don't ask how I know) The video looks so easy but not so when you're working it in a trench. Get them boys to dig you a big hole to work in and not "nick" any more conductors while they're doing it.

It will be interesting to see what the GC calls a "nick" :whistling2:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.