Electrician Talk banner

Knife sharpener

5K views 22 replies 14 participants last post by  gilbequick 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
#2 ·
I get the bazillion-pack of utility knife blades for 15 bucks. Saves the hassle of ever having to sharpen a knife. I'd rather spend my time doing anything besides sharpening a knife. We live in a disposable society now. Take advantage of it. :thumbsup:

#8 ·
I get the bazillion-pack of utility knife blades for 15 bucks. Saves the hassle of ever having to sharpen a knife. I'd rather spend my time doing anything besides sharpening a knife. We live in a disposable society now. Take advantage of it. :thumbsup:
So don't sharpen any knives. I use them. So do other folks.
I sharpen stuff while numbing my mind with TV or a movie.

If you don't want to know about decent tools then don't read the posts or pull the topic. :blink:

#3 ·
Somethings you want a good, solid knife for, and having the ability to sharpen it is a must.

Other tasks, like most of electrical work, I have to agree that disposable blades is the way to go. I've converted from pocket knifes to those folding utility blade knives that you find for under $10. There are many different designs, I found one at Lowes that I like (it holds the blade very well).

#6 ·
I had to check your location there for a second. I thought maybe you were from West Virginia. :laughing:

#13 ·
I'm going back to a stone or steel. I have a pocket fold-up version of the SOG, with the carbides, spring loaded, at opposing angles. (Boker)
Makes an extremely sharp edge, but just watch your blade disappear! :blink:
Carbide sharpeners really rip the steel off in a hurry!

Maybe best used to reshape a badly worn blade, than to use for routine resharpening.

#15 ·
I'm going back to a stone or steel. I have a pocket fold-up version of the SOG, with the carbides, spring loaded, at opposing angles. (Boker)
Makes an extremely sharp edge, but just watch your blade disappear! :blink:
Carbide sharpeners really rip the steel off in a hurry!

Maybe best used to reshape a badly worn blade, than to use for routine resharpening.

Just pull the blade through lightly. I use a similar carbide hone, once you get the blade to the angle of the hone a light draw should realign the edge.

I also hit a razor blade to the hone and it keeps the edge going.

Reactions: BP_redbear
#23 ·
I use the Lansky as well. I also like the Spyderco Sharpmaker, but personally prefer the Lansky. I have used the bottom of a coffee mug to sharpen a blade a few times, it works well with a steady hand.

Also, on the larger metal halide lamps the ceramic/porcelain insulator on the inside works fantastic for blade sharpening. Next time one burns out on you, break it open and give it a shot.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.