Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
8,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried them out for the first time today and was very impressed. They are extremely well balanced and very comfortable. The shear is razor sharp and when the tool is opened up all the way you can easily cut a fistful of 12s.

The stripping action is nice and clean and works fine for small terminating tasks. If I had a bunch to do I'd rather use my t strippers or my auto stripper because after too many it becomes a little uncomfortable.

It reams 1/2 and 3/4 just fine. Not sure if it'll replace my channellocks for reaming duties but time will tell. It won't ream 1" however.

My only complaint is that the crimper doesn't work worth a shít since the crimp is so far from the fulcrum. I'm used to my Klein high leverage crimper and this tool can't replace it like I was hoping it could.

Overall, great tool to keep on your side. It won't completely replace the six tools it claims to encompass but it comes damn close.

·
Donuts > Fried Eggs
17,042 Posts
...My only complaint is that the crimper doesn't work worth a shít since the crimp is so far from the fulcrum....
I wondered about that same problem with the location of the strippers. Is that why they become uncomfortable?

I don't often use needle-nose, are they basically the same size?

·
Registered
8,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Big John said:
I wondered about that same problem with the location of the strippers. Is that why they become uncomfortable? I don't often use needle-nose, are they basically the same size?
Correct on all counts. As of right now they strip very easily and for small jobs it does fine. But I could easily see fatigue becoming an issue for large terminating tasks.

I've never used needle nose pliers either but I think these might be slightly wider than a traditional needle nose. I usually use my ***** to open KOs and whatnot but i was able to use these without much trouble.

Basically I think it comes down to the fact that most of us have been using the same tools to do the same tasks for a long time and it will take some getting used to using anything other than what you know.

·
Registered
596 Posts
The jaws aren't really needle-nose,more of a hybrid-needle nose/bulldog jaw. I used mine yesterday for a hammer,punch,pry bar,stripper,normal stuff,seemed to hold up fine. I also got a pair of bolt cutters also,for cutting concentric knock-outs,works great! These tools are lighter and well designed,we will see how they hold over the long haul.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Does the cutting edge go all the way to the bottom? I recently purchased a pair of Milwaukee strippers before researching on here. The cutting edge doesn't go all the way to the bottom. It seems like when you're cutting #10 or smaller, the wire tends to get crushed if you have the wire all the way in the cutters.

·
Registered
8,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
jroelofs said:
Does the cutting edge go all the way to the bottom? I recently purchased a pair of Milwaukee strippers before researching on here. The cutting edge doesn't go all the way to the bottom. It seems like when you're cutting #10 or smaller, the wire tends to get crushed if you have the wire all the way in the cutters.
Yes it does go all the way

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've been eyeing the Knipex ones but hesitating on dropping $60 for them. I did pickup a very similar pair (a knockoff I suppose) of Southwire from Lowe's for $35. I'm sure it's not the same quality as Knipex but hoping it will perform well enough for the money. Has anyone tried these? They have a nice hefty weight to them and look well built despite being made in China.
http://www.southwiretools.com/tools/tools/S5N1

·
Homer to Jebus
Electron Flow Consultant
870 Posts
I've been eyeing the Knipex ones but hesitating on dropping $60 for them. I did pickup a very similar pair (a knockoff I suppose) of Southwire from Lowe's for $35. I'm sure it's not the same quality as Knipex but hoping it will perform well enough for the money. Has anyone tried these? They have a nice hefty weight to them and look well built despite being made in China.
http://www.southwiretools.com/tools/tools/S5N1
Afik, no one here is drunk enough to try them. :laughing:

·
Registered
8,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Upon further use I've come to the realization that I don't need this tool at all. It cuts and strips nicely but that's it. It doesn't crimp, ream, or grip worth a chit. There's so little gripping power at the end of the pliers they can't even remove the 3/4 concentric KO in a 4 square. I took a good chunk of skin off my thumb trying to do that and almost threw the fricking things off the lift.

It's a high quality tool but I think it's better suited for a greenie or someone who hasn't established a preference for their tool platform

·
Registered
86 Posts
Upon further use I've come to the realization that I don't need this tool at all. It cuts and strips nicely but that's it. It doesn't crimp, ream, or grip worth a chit. There's so little gripping power at the end of the pliers they can't even remove the 3/4 concentric KO in a 4 square. I took a good chunk of skin off my thumb trying to do that and almost threw the fricking things off the lift.

It's a high quality tool but I think it's better suited for a greenie or someone who hasn't established a preference for their tool platform
So they are for sale now?? ;)

·
Registered
86 Posts
The crimper is worthless. It only strips 2 sizes. You can ream pipw with almost any of your pliers... not much use for these. Mine ended up in the truck floor.
I have the "powerhouse" back pocket pouch. But, I have noticed that I would like my needle nose too..so to save weight...I was thinking these would replace my strippers. I like the shears too. but, I just don't want to shell out the $68 and a month later they end up on my VAN floor!

·
Registered
123 Posts
I was very disapointed with everything but the cable cutter and the stripper. The needle nose wasn't as strong a grip as i expected, and the crimper was the worst i've ever used! It really is only intended for ferrules not the stak-on type which i use the most. You have zero leverage for crimp... i could use my teeth and it would be quicker. I got them for free on a job account and i still feel pretty sad about the whole thing. Good idea though.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I was very disapointed with everything but the cable cutter and the stripper. The needle nose wasn't as strong a grip as i expected, and the crimper was the worst i've ever used! It really is only intended for ferrules not the stak-on type which i use the most. You have zero leverage for crimp... i could use my teeth and it would be quicker. I got them for free on a job account and i still feel pretty sad about the whole thing. Good idea though.
Seems like They love ferrules in Europe!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.