Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there. I have a client in an old; huge home. There's a fuse panel in the basement stairwell that's all KT. I've advised that the panel be replaced and that all circuits that are KT be replaced. The HO is dead set against this as the KT runs through the whole house (3 stories) with plaster walls and would require a great deal of deconstruction. HO is hoping that the panel alone could be replaced with CB's. I haven't come across an appropriate method to do this. I've always refused cutting and spicing KT. Any thought or advice on replacing the OCPD's and keeping within code??

·
Registered
4,664 Posts
There is NOTHING wrong with gutting out the old fuse panel, using the can as a splice box, and protecting each KT circuit with a properly sized circuit breaker.

Why force a whole-house rewire if your Local Codes do not require it?

Doesn't make good business sense IMHO.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm proposing that the KT be replaced throughout the house. This proposal was denied by the HO. The HO still wants a CB panel installed to replace the existing fuse panel. I said I would have to do more research to see if there were an acceptable way to do this. I don't know of a way so I thought I'd put it up to the forum to see if I'm missing something. I'm not sure where you're finding fault.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There is NOTHING wrong with gutting out the old fuse panel, using the can as a splice box, and protecting each KT circuit with a properly sized circuit breaker.

This is exactly what I was looking for. Thank you. Good advice.:thumbup:

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

I'm not forcing anything. I like the splice box idea. I'm not sure why I hadn't thought of this. It's not something I'd come across and was just not sure how to proceed. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
15,929 Posts
Considering the condition of the KT wiring I've seen throughout the house over the years, I feel it would be a good idea to get it out of there.

Posssibly, but I've seen PLENTY of knob and tube in perfect condition. I've seen PLENTY of fuses panel in perfect condition. Demanding, or even asking about replacement "just because" is totally WRONG and dishonest. Find ACTUAL faulty conditions in the house, if they exist, and point them out. But don't just say "this panels gotta go" or "this wires gotta go" just to make work for yourself. People won't feel comfortable recommending you to a friend if you put them in situations where you're being a pushy salesman.

·
Registered
4,664 Posts
Did you take any meggar readings on KnT ?
I recall someone on here (or maybe MH) posting that meg readings on KT are almost worthless....as the spacing the wire was originally installed with provides enough isolation between hot and neutral that even if the wires were completely bare they would still meg out as "good." :eek:

·
Registered
423 Posts
You can protect each circuit with a GFCI breaker. When you replace a two wire recep the code says either replace it with a gfi or a two wire recep. IMO GFI protection would be code compliant in this situation

·
Registered
785 Posts
You can protect each circuit with a GFCI breaker. When you replace a two wire recep the code says either replace it with a gfi or a two wire recep. IMO GFI protection would be code compliant in this situation

That sounds very expensive and unnecessary. There was no mention of receptacle replacement.

1 - 20 of 104 Posts