Electrician Talk banner

Kohler 100kw 240/120v gen lug size+ dual lugs?

2K views 23 replies 9 participants last post by  power 
So... if you don't have the disconnect or the generator there to land the conductors in, why are you pulling them. Sounds to me like a good way to get the copper stolen.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk
Probably wants to do the bulk of the work while the weather is good.

Most 600 amp circuit breakers that I have seen have twin 500 kcmls lugs. If you know the circuit breaker brand can you go to the breaker people to see what they come with. The generator guy I deal with knows what the machines come with. Maybe the non supply chain issues are creating the uncertainty. Whatever lugs the breaker company has on the shelf is what you will get.

Not quite true.

Square D standards:

Two holes, 400 MCM max, Cu only.

A common private labeled breaker:

Page 99 states lug holes (I think 2) are for 3/0 to 500 MCM aluminum, or 3/0 to 350 MCM copper. So 500 MCM copper probably fits but it’s not rated for it.

ABB/Hitachi/GE:

4/0-350 copper, 300-500 aluminum.

So I’m curious, which brand of breaker has two 500 MCM lugs at 600 A? None of the common ones do.
Since most here use Aluminum I just assumed aluminum. Plus the standard stocking size wire is 250, 350, 500 kcmls. The 300, 400, 600 are special orders if you can get them. At least around here. I have a 600 amp breaker on the shelf and I will check the size. Maybe it is only 400 kcmls, I know it is larger than 350.

Not quite true.

Square D standards:

Two holes, 400 MCM max, Cu only.

A common private labeled breaker:

Page 99 states lug holes (I think 2) are for 3/0 to 500 MCM aluminum, or 3/0 to 350 MCM copper. So 500 MCM copper probably fits but it’s not rated for it.

ABB/Hitachi/GE:

4/0-350 copper, 300-500 aluminum.

So I’m curious, which brand of breaker has two 500 MCM lugs at 600 A? None of the common ones do.
Siemens.

3/0 to 500 MCM COPPER ONLY, 2 holes.

For some bizarre reason 300 is common around here. I hate it. I don’t carry lugs for it or any of the other odd sizes but we do cover Flex and coarse strand. We don’t cover DLO either…just not much call for it.

Easy to get around the Cu only. Ilsco makes all kinds of crimped pigtail or pin adapters.
I sometimes get confused in the conversations here because what is common to some parts of the country is not available or uncommon here and visa versa. Our utility company has there own quirky rules and NY State is far behind with the NEC. Licensing is a joke. Inspections are a joke. Contracting is a joke.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.