Electrician Talk banner

Kohler 100kw 240/120v gen lug size+ dual lugs?

2K views 23 replies 9 participants last post by  power 
#1 ·
Hi all ,
Has anyone hooked up a Kohler 100kw 1/0 240/120v generator before ? I can't get an answer from Kohler on the wire range sizes for the lugs ( ex... 4/0- 500mcm ) . Also I need to know if the gen comes with dual lugs for each phase to allow for parallel feeders . I'm running 125' away from house to gen local . It's Like pulling teeth to get answers unfortunately from Kohler. I've tried for weeks . Any help appreciated. Thanks

#3 ·
Machine new? Ask who is supplying it. Used go look.
They put a plethora of breakers in the equipment. Each built to a need for that order.
Who is doing the commissioning and testing for the unit?

Reactions: micromind
#5 ·
Thanks for the quick reply. The supplier finally told me the built in breaker is 600amp . Where would I order a dual lug setup from? Kohler ? . The gen doesn't come in till January but the rough in has to be done next week . I have to pull the feeders next week as well . Right now I'm figuring parallel sets of 350 mcm copper . Good for I think roughly 620 Amps . That should cover the 100% of OC .

#11 · (Edited)
Even as a Kohler dealer, finding that kind of (important detail you might want to know), has always been tough. The product is fine, the people at the factory are usually friendly and helpful, but this kind of stuff should be easily available without digging or having to make a call. The new dealer website, I can't find anything, not just this info. The company you are buying from needs to call and get you this from the factory. I know I would. How else are you going to size the conduits other that make the best guess?

The other thing is, most manufacturers aren't going to give out much info to non dealers, this isn't unique to Kohler.

#13 ·
Most 600 amp circuit breakers that I have seen have twin 500 kcmls lugs. If you know the circuit breaker brand can you go to the breaker people to see what they come with. The generator guy I deal with knows what the machines come with. Maybe the non supply chain issues are creating the uncertainty. Whatever lugs the breaker company has on the shelf is what you will get.

#14 ·
Most 600 amp circuit breakers that I have seen have twin 500 kcmls lugs. If you know the circuit breaker brand can you go to the breaker people to see what they come with. The generator guy I deal with knows what the machines come with. Maybe the non supply chain issues are creating the uncertainty. Whatever lugs the breaker company has on the shelf is what you will get.
Not quite true.

Square D standards:

Two holes, 400 MCM max, Cu only.

A common private labeled breaker:

Page 99 states lug holes (I think 2) are for 3/0 to 500 MCM aluminum, or 3/0 to 350 MCM copper. So 500 MCM copper probably fits but it’s not rated for it.

ABB/Hitachi/GE:

4/0-350 copper, 300-500 aluminum.

So I’m curious, which brand of breaker has two 500 MCM lugs at 600 A? None of the common ones do.

#17 ·
My guess would be that the lugs provided would allow a parallel or individual conductor, but someone's comment about supply chain made me wonder, and still would make the call to find out. There is only so much space for stubs in the enclosure, plus room for battery charger, block heater, and control wiring.

#20 ·
I would order the lug kit, from my sources. Problem you need to know which 600 amp breaker it is. MFG and model number.

What a pain in the ass for something so simple. Hope you get it resolved soon.

#24 ·
As you mentioned, parallel 350mcm is fine, 4" conduit x 2. Forget about the lugs on the OEM 600A brkr, most overcurrent devices of that size are buss-in-buss-out, that is, the field wiring does not directly connect to the breaker. The breaker is mechanically built into the generators electrical circuit with copper buss. The manufacturer will have provided dual-lugs at their load connection compartment. Kohler knows parallel runs are typical for ampacities of this size.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.