Electrician Talk banner

Kohler generators and their software issues

34K views 63 replies 17 participants last post by  nrp3 
#1 · (Edited)
Most of you know we have been selling Kohler generators for several years. About 6 months ago we had to make a business decision to stop selling Kohlers. Last thing I want is a customer complaining they paid for a back up power generator that never seems to work after paying us thousands of dollars to install and maintain one for then. I monitor about 30 we have installed with oncue remote monitoring. With the air cooled models I have a 25% success ratio due to repeated shutdowns from software issues. Eventually they release another update which fixes one problem but creates another. I started pushing and selling Onan about 6 months ago. I have 5 installed and a 100% success rate. New models just came out. After selling and fixing Kohlers for 3 years it sad to say they are nothing but a higher price generac or in other words junk. If you only install them you have no idea how bad it is. From shutdowns to hunting and surging issues. I'll not sell another Kohler but I am going to continue to maintain the 30 I have out there. I'll keep everyone up to date with how they compare to the Onan's and Gillette's we install. Very disappointed in Kohler and their product. I'm thinking they should stick to making toilets.

#2 ·
interesting. I think maybe they goofed when they got into the go-kart models. I've only installed a few in the 150 to 250 range (3phase), and they are champs. Did you ever install generacs ? If so, how would you compare them to the onans ?

#6 ·
wildleg said:
interesting. I think maybe they goofed when they got into the go-kart models. I've only installed a few in the 150 to 250 range (3phase), and they are champs. Did you ever install generacs ? If so, how would you compare them to the onans ?
Yep generac builds good diesel unit. My opinion on any model generac makes other than then their industrial units is they are junk. It's just the air cooled with Kohler at least. But junk is junk. Onan's have preformed flawless so far.

#10 · (Edited)
Just had a meeting with Onan today in Newark... thanks for the heads up... although I cant say ive had any problems with Kohler yet.. Had two customers on their kohlers for about 9 days straight so ..... we shall see....We had a meeting in Monroe a few months ago about some common issues and many of the problems start with installation errors.. Improper gas size, too small a gas meter, poorly terminated low voltage.... I haven't lost complete faith and from what Ive read about generac.... its still no comparison..
maybe there is some issues with the software but the mechanics are still leauges ahead of generac.
The way I look at it ... if your going to offer a product to your customers and stand behind it, its got to be top notch....

#24 · (Edited)
Just had a meeting with Onan today in Newark... thanks for the heads up... although I cant say ive had any problems with Kohler yet.. Had two customers on their kohlers for about 9 days straight so ..... we shall see....We had a meeting in Monroe a few months ago about some common issues and many of the problems start with installation errors.. Improper gas size, too small a gas meter, poorly terminated low voltage.... I haven't lost complete faith and from what Ive read about generac.... its still no comparison.. maybe there is some issues with the software but the mechanics are still leauges ahead of generac. The way I look at it ... if your going to offer a product to your customers and stand behind it, its got to be top notch....
Our installations are always correct. We call the gas co have them upgrade to 2psi and install correct regulator. Our work is top shelf. We are best contractor 4 years in a row on AL. Seeing as how we do sales SERVICE and REPAIR and warranty work I know it's more than just the software. Saying they are better than a generac isn't saying much. If generac is the kia and kohler is the lexus then onan is a Ferrari........We stand behind what we sell thus the change to Onan a much better designed and built product. And with the new lower pricing it's a no brainer. :thumbsup:

Attachments

#12 ·
We have a big storm coming our way next week so it will be interesting to see how it all goes...I will let all you fellas know.... About a month ago I did a courtesy visit for many of my contracts and so far they all checked out..
I had one firmware issue with one 14 RESL but all the others were good..

Maybe your just being hard on them ....?

#13 ·
I've never dealt with the small stuff with the software but it doen't supprise me that it's glitchy. It's just some half ass software they tossed together to make a cool sounding feature. Very little or no testing before release.

#15 ·
captkirk said:
Just had a meeting with Onan today in Newark... thanks for the heads up... although I cant say ive had any problems with Kohler yet.. Had two customers on their kohlers for about 9 days straight so ..... we shall see....We had a meeting in Monroe a few months ago about some common issues and many of the problems start with installation errors.. Improper gas size, too small a gas meter, poorly terminated low voltage.... I haven't lost complete faith and from what Ive read about generac.... its still no comparison.. maybe there is some issues with the software but the mechanics are still leauges ahead of generac. The way I look at it ... if your going to offer a product to your customers and stand behind it, its got to be top notch....

I've got 6 with hunting issues. Huge service procedure you have to go thru if updating software doesn't work. Now they have released a more onsite adjustable system. Try explaining to a customer why after they paid 15 grand for a generator it's left them in the dark two times.

#25 ·
I sell Cummins Onan on a daily basis and my team installs them without issue. I haven't had a single call-back about a genset in 4 years.

We install them on trucks and trailers and they are used daily, not just when there's an outage. They power everything from large AC units, heaters, computers, rectifiers, etc. They are often installed in cramped spaces, frequently get ran out of fuel, and are not likely to be well maintained. Still, they just don't have issues.

#26 ·
vinister said:
I sell Cummins Onan on a daily basis and my team installs them without issue. I haven't had a single call-back about a genset in 4 years. We install them on trucks and trailers and they are used daily, not just when there's an outage. They power everything from large AC units, heaters, computers, rectifiers, etc. They are often installed in cramped spaces, frequently get ran out of fuel, and are not likely to be well maintained. Still, they just don't have issues.
And that is the reason we sell Onan's now.

#31 ·
DIYer4Life said:
What is that based on? How much experience do you have with the watercooled Generacs?
I used to sell Generac. It's based on my experience with them. Had repeated issues with them just like we are with the Kohlers. Their liquid cooled units are better than their air cooled but they are still junk compared to Onan. If you've never sold and repaired all the other brands you don't have anything to compare to. We put in all brands and provide service and repair. But we only sell what we can stand behind and it's not Kohler or generac

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.