Electrician Talk banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Jack of One Trade
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When calculating power draw using readings from my amp meter (standard ideal clamp meter), I multiply the amp reading by the known voltage. I am really calculating KW, not KVA, right? I would need a meter capable of reading power factor, to see if current is leading/lagging voltage, in order to truly know KVA, if I'm not mistaken. I am preparing a load summary for a customer, and just want to make sure that I can call what I am reading "KW", and not "KVA". Any help is appreciated!

·
Registered
12,167 Posts
You are looking at it backwards.

V*A = VA

V*A*PF/1000 = KW

Reactions: shwadaddy76

·
Electrical Simpleton
3,350 Posts
What type of facility is it?

You could probably plug a number in such as 80 or 90% for PF unless the load calculation you are doing is critical.

Pete

·
Banned
7,221 Posts
If you want to know KW you need a wattmeter.. remember trying to hook those damn things up in apprentice school?

I'd still probably screw up the connections! :laughing:

·
:-)
3,670 Posts
If you want to know KW you need a wattmeter.. remember trying to hook those damn things up in apprentice school?

:
No. But I'm sure I did as I never missed a class. I actually don't remember anything from school except going out and starting my car in -35 weather at lunch so the thing would start when I went home at night.

In my many years in the trade I must have used something they taught me in school. Must have.

·
Registered
656 Posts
shwadaddy76 said:
I'm giving them a PUE # so they have a benchmark to judge efficiency, and want to be accurate
If you want to be accurate, give them VA. If it's a data center, the pf is probably between 0.9 and 0.95, but if they're just looking for trending over time, that doesn't really matter.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts