Electrician Talk banner

L15-30R in wet locations

2K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  Easy 
#1 ·
I will be installing 3 receptacles in wet locations for portable equipment.
They are 3 phase 208 at 30 amps. I'm not sure what the 2017 code cycle says about GFCI protection but I read this at Eaton's web site.

"Code-making panel 2 (CMP 2) updated text to read, “All 125-volt through 250-volt receptacles installed in the locations specified in 210.8(A) (1) through (11) and supplied by single-phase branch circuits rated 150 volts or less to ground shall have ground fault circuit interrupter protection for personnel.” In layman’s terms, the NEC removed amp values across all amp-rated receptacle outlets requiring GFCI protection in the areas listed in this section."

I don't want to go overboard and spend all my bosses money but from my vantage point it seems like GFCI will be required.

Should I go with a gfci breaker or some other method?
I found this on Hubbells web site and it looks like a good product but my objective would be to save money and make it safe for the user.

See less See more
#2 ·
Those are not 3 phase gfci's -- I don't believe so anyway.

I think Sq. D is the only company making them but there are devices out there. Very expensive....If you can direct wire them you will be better off.

Reactions: Easy
#4 ·
Thanks.... I will check them out. The one I found at Hubbell was really not in the photo I posted but the specs say
"Rated Voltage 120V AC, 240V AC and 120/240V, 3Ø 250V AC, 120/208V AC."
Only $485.76 at Gordon electric supply.

Basically you are saying use a hard wired GFCI device rather than a breaker?

No matter how I go it's going to be expensive but if it prevents shock hazards then I'm all for it.

#5 · (Edited)
Ok I just looked at them and they might be single phase as well. I'm inquiring as we speak. The cost for a "30 Amp Permanent, 120/240 Volt, Auto Reset PGFS-33105"
is $209 but it does not say 3 phase in the specs. I will let you know when they get back to me.

Edit with apology
I read the Sq. D specs and they have 3 phase 208 GFCI's that is quite affordable, and compared to Hubbell who knows.
Square D and Milwaukee are companies that will hopefully always stay in business.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.