Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Hackenschmidt
11,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have always used these Leviton 2621 plugs or maybe something similar from Hubbell

Liquid Cylinder Gas Technology Font
Liquid Camera accessory Cylinder Audio equipment Cameras & optics

I was making up a cord with one of these and 10/3 SOOW the other day. The overall quality is good, and the terminals are very good, but IMO the strain relief could be a lot better. It's just a screw clamp, you can see the two screws in the white part. You can crank those screws down and get a pretty good grip but it could be better, and these things do get abused.

It's not nearly as good as a good cord grip, like these from Arlington

Camera accessory Automotive lighting Automotive tire Cameras & optics Font

The gripper inside is about bombproof without cranking down on the cord

Product Automotive tire Font Audio equipment Circuit component

Does anyone know of a good quality plug that uses that type of gripper on the cord?

·
Band Member
DIYer Extrodinaire
7,720 Posts
Leviton makes the wetguard ones (similar to what @460 Delta posted)
Probably pricey !

I don't like the strain relief on those regular locking plugs either.
The strain relief in those Leviton Python connectors are really good. They should use those on all their plugs. Great for just yanking the cord out of the receptacle 😁

·
Hackenschmidt
11,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Reactions: MikeFL

·
Hackenschmidt
11,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Leviton makes the wetguard ones (similar to what @460 Delta posted)
Probably pricey !

I don't like the strain relief on those regular locking plugs either.
The strain relief in those Leviton Python connectors are really good. They should use those on all their plugs. Great for just yanking the cord out of the receptacle 😁
Leviton Wetguard looks good too and might be easier to get ordered, we still have one supply house carrying Leviton locally.

Automotive lighting Liquid Font Gas Plastic

·
Registered
Industrial Mostly, Panels and drives
136 Posts
Doesn't matter what size of connector those screw clamps suck, anything that pulls to the side at all eventually wiggles out.

Meltric was the brand we used, but it was mostly for welders / 3 phase motors. I do not honestly know if they make one for single phase but I imagine they have some in there somewhere.

They do some really nifty custom PLC ones too, for control cabinets that get moved around a lot.

·
Registered
Ready Mix concrete plant electrician
2,494 Posts

·
Hackenschmidt
11,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Interesting, seems strange that Ericson is unknown out in Parts Unknown. Around here Ericson and to a lesser extent Woodhead are the premium models that almost all SH have to offer.
I was looking at their web site, I didn't recognize the name at first but I see they make this beauty

Toy Rectangle Building sets Building Font

There are a couple supply houses that sell this PDU, I have seen them on display by the counter. I see that the company is over 100 years old and in Ohio - is their stuff all made in USA? If so they should say so on their web site...

Leviton, I keep checking when I buy - their industrial grade plugs / connectors are still made in USA, most or all of the big box stuff is China or Mexico, and to their credit they put the COA right up front on their web site.

·
Bilge Rat
motors and controls.........
8,411 Posts
I like the Arrow-Hart autogrip.

The strain relief is up inside the body and it doesn't try to cut the outer insulation plus it has a sort of raintite grommet.

·
Registered
Ready Mix concrete plant electrician
2,494 Posts
I was looking at their web site, I didn't recognize the name at first but I see they make this beauty

View attachment 158411
There are a couple supply houses that sell this PDU, I have seen them on display by the counter. I see that the company is over 100 years old and in Ohio - is their stuff all made in USA? If so they should say so on their web site...

Leviton, I keep checking when I buy - their industrial grade plugs / connectors are still made in USA, most or all of the big box stuff is China or Mexico, and to their credit they put the COA right up front on their web site.
The stuff I buy still is made in Cleveland (Willoughby) but it may be the dirty marketing trick of made in US of globally sourced material too.

·
Registered
Power distribution and controls
912 Posts
There are several companies that make distribution boxes, or as we call them spiders.
All of the ones we had were straight blade gfci outlets. We had feeder cords that were 75 feet long and would put two of these boxed on a circuit for fairs and trade shows.
I see some are made from plastic which I think is a bad idea. Our boxes were pretty banged up after a few years.

·
Registered
Power distribution and controls
912 Posts
I like this better

According to the Federal Trade Commission, “Made in USA” means that “all or virtually
all” the product has been made in America. That is, all significant parts, processing and labor
that go into the product must be of U.S. origin.

taken from

1 - 20 of 34 Posts