Electrician Talk banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

Band Member
DIYer Extrodinaire

Registered
I have always used these Leviton 2621 plugs or maybe something similar from Hubbell

View attachment 158393 View attachment 158398

I was making up a cord with one of these and 10/3 SOOW the other day. The overall quality is good, and the terminals are very good, but IMO the strain relief could be a lot better. It's just a screw clamp, you can see the two screws in the white part. You can crank those screws down and get a pretty good grip but it could be better, and these things do get abused.

It's not nearly as good as a good cord grip, like these from Arlington

View attachment 158395

The gripper inside is about bombproof without cranking down on the cord

View attachment 158396

Does anyone know of a good quality plug that uses that type of gripper on the cord?
These work good.
Product Natural material Silver Material property Bag

Registered
I have always used these Leviton 2621 plugs or maybe something similar from Hubbell

View attachment 158393 View attachment 158398

I was making up a cord with one of these and 10/3 SOOW the other day. The overall quality is good, and the terminals are very good, but IMO the strain relief could be a lot better. It's just a screw clamp, you can see the two screws in the white part. You can crank those screws down and get a pretty good grip but it could be better, and these things do get abused.

It's not nearly as good as a good cord grip, like these from Arlington

View attachment 158395

The gripper inside is about bombproof without cranking down on the cord

View attachment 158396

Does anyone know of a good quality plug that uses that type of gripper on the cord?
The strain relief can only put so much pressure on the line if to much pressure it causes wear or oh what's the word I can not remember but the weight of the cord and the bend will cause the coating to wear trough and break down at the very end its an engineering thing really it should apply the pressure over the whole whit part to grip the wire its more to keep the pressure off the wires were the connection is made. you can use vice grips to tighten them down more as long as you dont go hog wild it help the cord grip is really for panel use or were it goes trough a structure. they do have the ones you are referring to but really not cost effective unless your the government and spending other peoples money used them on Solar and wind application most Leviton 2621 plugs are used for heavy duty extension cords ya they see a lot of abuse but when the cord wears out you can just re-due it. think along the line permeant installation and temp

21 - 34 of 34 Posts